Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Fred Burnham  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Fielder

• View Profile
Fred Burnham
« on: March 02, 2023, 03:14:44 PM »
Fredrick Russel Burnham. He was in Tombstone in Wyatt Earp's day. Scouted for the US Army in the Apache wars.
Pleasant Valley war family feud which had more deaths than Hatfield v McCoy, Johnson Country War (Heaven's Gate), Lincoln Country War (Billy the kid). In Pleasant valley war he was a poor young man but he had lodging in 3 houses, 3 horses, 3 names, 3 different occupations, When things got 'hot' he moved to another town temporarily and became one of his alternate identities. 

None of that made him famous. He became famous when he moved to Africa and became a Boer scout in their battles against tribes. Left for Klondike gold rush. Came back when the King of England offered him big money to become the chief scout for the British in the Boer wars (England vs. the Dutch Boers). Received the DSO from the King.

Baden Powell, who founded the boy scouts, served as a scout under Burnham in Africa and used his attire for the Boy Scout uniform in England.

Wouldn't you know his wife's property turned up oil wells and he became an oil and airline tycoon and became a regular in Roosevelt's cabinet (largely because Teddy enjoyed his stories of the old days).

Through it all he carried the same Remington 1875 which he bought as a youngster in Arizona. Somewhere along the way, the grips became hippo ivory.

https://www.outsideonline.com/culture/books-media/most-interesting-man-world/

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Fred Burnham
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 03:53:14 PM »
Great story Fielder! Thank you for posting it. As a Boy Scout myself, I found that part of the story very interesting.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 05:41:24 PM »
Outstanding account. Thanks, Fielder.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2023, 06:13:39 AM »
Another great story that I've never heard before.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2023, 10:14:48 AM »
I had his two volume account, I believe it was called "Scouting On Two Continents". A fascinating life story that read like a Hollywood fiction except this was real. I especially remember him mentioning the trouble in Tombstone where "they had all the guns counted and new where they were" or words to that effect. The story of him slipping in to assassinate the African tribal leader was unbelievable. Like too many of my books that I lent out, they never made their way back home.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2023, 11:39:11 AM »
I had his two volume account, I believe it was called "Scouting On Two Continents". A fascinating life story that read like a Hollywood fiction except this was real. I especially remember him mentioning the trouble in Tombstone where "they had all the guns counted and new where they were" or words to that effect. The story of him slipping in to assassinate the African tribal leader was unbelievable. Like too many of my books that I lent out, they never made their way back home.
Never lend out a book or a tool you like

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2024, 04:49:33 AM »
It was more that his clothing that inspired Baden-Powell.  It was the way he could leave a camp for weeks, with nothing but his guns and his wits and come back days or weeks later with information on the enemy. His scouting abilities were what inspired B-P. He brought back to England a way to help boys become men and have skills necessary to help them in the military.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com