Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: "1960 New Model Army"  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
"1960 New Model Army"
« on: March 03, 2023, 04:06:45 PM »
Been taking a break from the internet for a while. Still on break, truth be told, but wanted to post this one.

Picked it up at my LGS for a price that didn't make me feel guilty for buying it. It is, of course, one of the Belgian 1860 pistols. The stories are all over the place, and arguments about them seem to abound. However...

The finish on this one is almost pristine. There are a couple of dings in the grips, and a small circular drag mark on the loading lever, a barely visible drag mark on the cylinder, and the nipples have no wear at all. I examined it inside and out. I don't think it has ever been fired. It is tight and perfectly in time.

Made in Belgium mark on butt...

Markings on the frame. New Model Army, but has what appears to be some sort of naval scene on the cylinder. It has the Centaure mark which is, oddly enough, double struck.

]

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: "1960 New Model Army"
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 04:50:38 PM »
That's a nice one. All 1860 armies have a naval scene on the cylinder. Colt actually did give Belgium license to make revolvers in the 1860's with the caveat that they had to meet Colts high standards and for every one that went through the Liege proof house they had to pay Colt 10 francs. In 1960 Belgium wanted to cash in on the anniversary of the CW so they started making these. They are supposed to be exact copies of the Colt 1860 and much better quality than the second gens. Most of the original brevets are 51 navies. I'm guessing they made the new ones 1860's so they wouldn't be easily mistaken for originals.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 06:41:56 PM »
That's a great score EM. I've been wanting one for my collection for a while.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2023, 04:18:21 AM »
EM. That was a very nice score!! It's very nice indeed. I guess I need to spend more time in the LGS around my area. :cowboypistol:

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2023, 09:29:13 AM »
Having spoken with a German expert on these pistols, mine is 1965, Regular New Model Army, 3rd variation, 2nd sub-variation. It came from the factory with no etching on the cylinder. That was added by the distributor in the U.S.