Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: .45 S&W in a levergun?  (Read 2938 times)

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
.45 S&W in a levergun?
« on: April 13, 2023, 04:25:21 AM »
Gents,
I'm thinking of getting a pistol caliber levergun (only levergun I currently own is a .22).  I was thinking of a .45 Colt as my SAA clone is so chambered.  I use .45 Colt brass for "full" power loads in it and .45 Schoefield brass for lighter ones.  Does the shorter brass run in .45Colt chambered leverguns? 

Many Thanks!
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: .45 S&W in a levergun?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 04:46:34 AM »
It might but I kinda doubt it. Why not just load down .45 Colt and mark the case head with a sharpie? If you just want the schofield cases for authenticity remember lever actions were never chambered in .45 back in the day
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 05:21:09 AM »
Dave Shooter, sounds like you've got the bug for a lever action. I've got that bug myself. I do not currently have one. I'm most likely going with the .357/38spl myself since I already have an RM Type II model chambered in .38 spl. Where do you think you most likely be purchasing? Internet vendor or LGS? Just curious that's all. :usa-flag-89:

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2023, 06:20:02 AM »
LGS, unless I decide on something exotic (at least to me).
Engineer?
Unabashed patriot!

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2023, 07:08:58 AM »

Nice, sure want to see a picture or two of it when you get it.  :cowboypistol:

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2023, 07:49:55 AM »
The cartridge OAL is critical in a lever gun. You don't have a great deal of leeway on what will function. Having said that, I am aware that some 44 Mag lever guns will feed 44 Specials. If you are set on a 45 Colt lever gun, I would stick with the standard length cartridge and simply work up different loads and mark the base with a Sharpie as already mentioned.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2023, 08:14:34 AM »
One thing to consider; a straight wall cart allows a bit of blowback into the action. No big deal for smokeless carts but it can become a thing if shooting BP carts or both.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2023, 08:33:53 AM »
Some modern model 73's and 66's will work with Schofields. There is a bevel at the front of the carrier that allows for a little variance in cartridge length due to bullet size and depth. My cousin had one that would do fine with Schofields. Another friend had one that didn't work well with them at all. I have run 45 Colt Govt length cases through mine and it works fine. That would indicate Schofields would probably work in it, too. That length cartridge seems to be right at the short end of what works. It might be that if Schofields didn't work well in one, you may be able to load them a slight bit long and get by with it. The only other bugaboo might be the rim size being slightly wider on Schofields. You'd have to give it a try and see. Navy Six has a good solution for you if they don't feed properly.

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2023, 01:46:33 AM »

Nice, sure want to see a picture or two of it when you get it.  :cowboypistol:

Ask and ye shall receive!

Engineer?
Unabashed patriot!

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2023, 01:54:39 AM »
Went with a factory new Rossi R92.  Figured if it was a lemon, I could try for customer service.
Chose .45 Colt since I already load for it, and the 92 is a stout action, allegedly able to handle Ruger only loads with ease.

The brass bead will need shined up.
Engineer?
Unabashed patriot!

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2023, 01:59:38 AM »
First shot offhand at 25 yards.  Moved the elevator down one and two more offhand.  Then elbows on on the bench for five rounds.
Engineer?
Unabashed patriot!

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2023, 02:05:29 AM »
Action was not that bad   I was expecting gritty, but that really wasn't the case.  Trigger had some takeup and breaks right at the weight of the rifle, ~5lbs.

Engineer?
Unabashed patriot!

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2023, 02:12:42 AM »
Shot factory ammo and it ran fine, cycled slow, cycled fast.  10 rounds fit in the tube nicely.  Firing pin hits nicely centered.  Chrono'd a couple rounds for giggles, 1340 fps.

Engineer?
Unabashed patriot!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2023, 03:29:55 AM »
Nice rifle. They make a plug to get rid of the safety but there's not much you can do about the dots except paint them.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2023, 05:47:23 AM »
Nice rifle. They make a plug to get rid of the safety but there's not much you can do about the dots except paint them.

Dave Shooter. Man she is a beauty!! I'm jealous. So far it sounds like you are well pleased with it? I hope to be getting a Rossi 92 but chambered in .357 Mag. The pursuit of one is a big part of the fun for me. I am looking at used and hoping to get an Interarms SRC but they get too pricey for my bank account. If i may ask, did you purchase at an LGS? I don't have to tell you guys that folks are paying premium on GB. Thank you for sharing your good fortune Dave.
Hawg? you say they make a plug for the safety hole? I wasn't aware of that. Where would one get one of those if needed.