Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Caps are still scares.  (Read 1331 times)

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
Caps are still scares.
« on: May 06, 2023, 05:53:28 PM »
After all these month’s percussion caps remain hard to find or afford if you can find some.  Making your own caps is still an effective self sufficient choice.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Caps are still scares.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2023, 06:47:04 PM »
Agree. I scored a pretty good run on them a few years ago so I'm set for a while. But you never know.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2023, 08:03:50 AM »
Rick, I agree as well. I've looked occasionally and find nothing but out of stock. Like the good Capt, I have enough on hand to last me a long while. Good to hear from you Rick. :usa-flag-89: :usa-flag-89:

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2023, 11:11:11 AM »
I tried making my own caps and it didn't turn out so well. Trying to mix the supplied components(in the kit)and then inserting it into the cap was tedious and it seemed like I put in too much or not enough. I fortunately ordered a case of Remington #10s just before the shortage hit but that won't last forever. Just like casting your own bullets, when you think you have plenty of lead you end up saying, "hey, where did it all go?" I'm starting to see primers available so I hope caps won't be too far behind.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2023, 11:41:10 AM »
I intend to continue on making my own.  I will get to the point of making 90% to 100% effecting. The ones I make now are near 95% fireable, but about 50% will ignite a revolver load.  I have some ideas. I will keep you informed.