Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Is there a shoulder stock for 1861 Navies?  (Read 1654 times)

Offline OldFrenchy

• View Profile
Is there a shoulder stock for 1861 Navies?
« on: May 11, 2023, 11:17:51 PM »
I recently bought a Uberti 1861 Navy cut for a shoulder stock with the intention of using it with my old Uberti 1860 Army shoulder stock.
Alas! It does not fit as the Navy grip is to short to engage the backstrap lug.
Does anyone know if there is a Navy-sized shoulder stock?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a shoulder stock for 1861 Navies?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2023, 05:28:24 AM »
Old frenchy...You may have seen these. Looks like they have the skeletal type for the 1861. I personally don't care for the skeletal type.
https://possibleshop.com/pistol-shoulder-stock.html
I've read where an 1851 stock (not available) will fit an 1861? Not sure but worth asking about it.
https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/1851-NAVY-SHOULDER-STOCK-229p1196.htm
this auction here is with the gun :-(
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/984892137

They seem scarce.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 06:16:48 AM »
From the links Zulch provided, they do appear to exist if you're lucky enough to find one. That last listing was for an 1851 with stock but the photo shows an 1860. I hope you find one, they look pretty nice.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2023, 06:19:36 AM »
From the links Zulch provided, they do appear to exist if you're lucky enough to find one. That last listing was for an 1851 with stock but the photo shows an 1860. I hope you find one, they look pretty nice.

Marshal, I thought that looked like an 1861 in the picture, thanks for confirming  :cowboypistol:

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2023, 07:11:44 AM »

Marshal, I thought that looked like an 1861 in the picture, thanks for confirming  :cowboypistol:
OK, You were right. I went back and zoomed in on the photo and the cylinder doesn't appear to be rebated so that would mean it's an 1861. When I first looked at it, it looked like it was rebated but I guess not. Thanks for calling that to my attention.

Offline OldFrenchy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2023, 10:47:30 PM »

Thanks Marshal Will, but the skeleton stock mates to an extended hammer screw, and requires the removal of the stock retention screws found on the sides of the frame, leaving holes.
It really doesn't 'fit' Colt percussion guns cut for shoulder stocks.

Offline OldFrenchy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2023, 11:00:54 PM »
I looked at the Taylor 1861 w/shoulder stock for sale on Gunbroker. It is the same as my shoulder stock manufactured for the 1860 Army,  but modified to fit the Navy. I could do this myself (and actually cut the angles better!) but it would then be just a Navy stock.I'll consider it.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2023, 06:19:21 AM »
You could change the grip frame on your Navy to the Army grip frame.   

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2023, 12:32:27 PM »
The last couple of Uberti 61 Navies I bought were cut for the shoulder stock. I bought one of those skeleton stocks a few years ago but have not tried fitting it to anything.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2023, 06:13:54 PM »
Never tried fitting it?  Why not?

I have never owned a revolver stock but have used some. The metal skeleton types make the most sense - lighter and less cumbersome.   I have a theory, maybe more in the nature of an idle thought, that revolver stocks were not meant to be used as a carbine but rather intended to be used one handed with the butt braced to the shoulder.  I’ve used them horse back and it’s really stable; works good, even at a gallop.  It is almost a full arm extension and one’s face is nicely out of the way of hot sparks and powder flash.  Never took to their use ‘carbine style’.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?

« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 06:20:29 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2023, 03:07:46 AM »
Hi G Dog,
I'm sure you're 100% right.
As a rider, you've got the know-how

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2023, 06:24:56 AM »
I wouldn't have thought of that, G Dog. It makes sense.

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2023, 08:25:55 AM »
Never tried fitting it?  Why not?

I have never owned a revolver stock but have used some. The metal skeleton types make the most sense - lighter and less cumbersome.   I have a theory, maybe more in the nature of an idle thought, that revolver stocks were not meant to be used as a carbine but rather intended to be used one handed with the butt braced to the shoulder.  I’ve used them horse back and it’s really stable; works good, even at a gallop.  It is almost a full arm extension and one’s face is nicely out of the way of hot sparks and powder flash.  Never took to their use ‘carbine style’.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Too many projects going I guess. The stock is still new and I can't decide which gun to use it on. I didn't know there was one hammer screw for Uberti and one for Pietta. I should have guessed that but the stock came with no written material. I did consider putting it on a Pietta 44 Navy which I converted to 45 Colt with a 12" barrel, though legally it may not be a good idea even temporarily.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2023, 11:12:34 AM »
I did consider putting it on a Pietta 44 Navy which I converted to 45 Colt with a 12" barrel, though legally it may not be a good idea even temporarily.

It's not a good idea if you shoot at a public range but if you shoot in your backyard just don't tell anybody or post pics anywhere.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline OldFrenchy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2023, 07:00:00 PM »
I wound up cutting down the brass frame to accomodate the new Navy. Some judicious filing of the cuts on the frame of the revolver were necessary to make it fit, as well as some filing of the stock retention screw  to raise it up for the Navy grip. The stock still accomodates the old 1860 Army, so I achieved what I wanted.
All's well that ends well!

Thanks again for everyone's input.