Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: C&B '73s  (Read 7199 times)

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
C&B '73s
« on: March 16, 2015, 07:33:26 AM »
What is everyone opinions, experiences with the cap and ball colt SAA? im looking into getting one and have wanted one for years!
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
Re: C&B '73s
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 07:57:33 AM »
I don't have one but, I do like the style. One day I will get one.  )lI

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 11:24:18 AM »
Yeah, I like the style also. But they are awkward to load. Someone mentioned they wouldn't have one in the house...maybe Scooby or Fingers McGee?

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 06:20:09 PM »
well i'm getting one off of another forum member... i guess for the price i cant lose. always wanted one, will probably convert it to .45colt in the future like everything else i have. its a 4 3/4" barrel with white grips, will make a nice quick draw pistol...
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 06:56:38 PM »
I have this one, it's an Uberti Bisley model.  I've yet to shoot it but I hope to this weekend.   They are a bit of an aberration but I kinda like some quirky stuff sometimes.    From what I understand a 2nd gen Colt .45 cylinder and a center fire firing pin (they are replaceable)  is what you need to convert them to cartridge.  I don't believe there is anyone making conversion cylinders for these but I could be wrong.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 09:33:08 PM »
Mikey, yeah the Bisley model is a real looker!

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 05:13:36 AM »
...I have this one, it's an Uberti Bisley model.  I've yet to shoot it but I hope to this weekend.   They are a bit of an aberration but I kinda like some quirky stuff sometimes.    From what I understand a 2nd gen Colt .45 cylinder and a center fire firing pin (they are replaceable)  is what you need to convert them to cartridge.  I don't believe there is anyone making conversion cylinders for these but I could be wrong...

Nice looking revolver.  I don't believe they can be converted to CF by swapping parts.  The whole reason they were built to begin with was for the European market and an easily converted piece would not be acceptable to European laws.  Check where the "firing pin" comes through the frame.  It is very different from the Model P.

Enjoy it for what it is and if you want a Model P, buy one.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 03:57:17 PM »

Nice looking revolver.  I don't believe they can be converted to CF by swapping parts.  The whole reason they were built to begin with was for the European market and an easily converted piece would not be acceptable to European laws.  Check where the "firing pin" comes through the frame.  It is very different from the Model P.

Enjoy it for what it is and if you want a Model P, buy one.

Kevin

Yeah I know about the off center firing pin hole.   There is a "work around" for that but just as you say, not quite as simple as swapping parts.  Not a huge deal either.   I am not interested in converting this revolver anyway.  Just letting Bruce know it's not as simple as ordering a conversion cylinder like with some of the other Colt BP reproductions.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 09:04:49 AM »
from what i have researched and learned, obviously swapping the cylinder is needed, you would have to machine/drill the firing pin hole center then put in a bushing so the pin hole is centered instead of offset like in the C&B. And change the firing pin on the hammer. other than the machining and fitting a bushing, the rest is easy. i'm going to do it eventually, but in the distant future like when .45colt stops being about $50 per 50 or i get into reloading...
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 01:40:47 PM »
from what i have researched and learned, obviously swapping the cylinder is needed, you would have to machine/drill the firing pin hole center then put in a bushing so the pin hole is centered instead of offset like in the C&B. And change the firing pin on the hammer. other than the machining and fitting a bushing, the rest is easy. i'm going to do it eventually, but in the distant future like when .45colt stops being about $50 per 50 or i get into reloading...

The C&B 73 will not have passed the same proof as a cartridge revolver.  A can of worms.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 04:50:08 PM »
Bleeech! 
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 06:58:26 PM »
Bleeech!

Exactly the reaction I was waiting for from you Fingers.   I knew you'd come through eventually.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 07:22:20 PM »
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 01:32:20 PM »
Bleeech!

Exactly the reaction I was waiting for from you Fingers.   I knew you'd come through eventually.
I didn't want to disappoint you Mike.

($!
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Southron

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 06:09:21 PM »
Not Proofed for Cartridges????

HUH????

I used to work for a company that imported replica arms from Italy, have been to Italy and visited most of the factories.

Got some news for you. The Proof House in Brescia uses a very WEAK black powder to "Proof" the barrels and revolvers sent to it.

So, the "Proof Marks" you see all over Italian revolvers are there to meet "the letter of the law" and not much more.

That being said, it is not very logical to purchase a Percussion '73 and then convert it to a cartridge firing arm when you can just buy the cartridge firing version of the pistol in the first place.