Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Ian McCollum talks about the Whitworth rifle  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Ian McCollum talks about the Whitworth rifle
« on: June 03, 2023, 10:36:16 PM »

And a correction video on the accuracy stated in the first video.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
Re: Ian McCollum talks about the Whitworth rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 10:51:41 PM »
I like that guy...... he's got some great videos out there.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 05:59:39 AM »
Thank you Hawg, That was very very interesting. Sounds like very few of these have survived. I noticed the degree adjustment for the scope that he talked about but thought I saw another degree measurement adjustment toward the rear of the scope? Maybe I'm dreaming. Anyway, am I crazy to imagine that there would be a parallax adjustment for the scope due to it being mounted on the side?

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 07:27:35 AM »
Thank you Hawg, That was very very interesting. Sounds like very few of these have survived. I noticed the degree adjustment for the scope that he talked about but thought I saw another degree measurement adjustment toward the rear of the scope? Maybe I'm dreaming. Anyway, am I crazy to imagine that there would be a parallax adjustment for the scope due to it being mounted on the side?

They didn't have parallax adjustments back then. The side mount scope was intended to be used laying on your back and the barrel was supported between your feet like a bipod.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 09:20:39 AM »
That was very interesting, Hawg. Thanks for posting the videos. I particularly liked his explanation of accuracy measurements in the correction video.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2023, 09:43:24 AM »
I never knew they checked accuracy that way but it does make a lot of sense.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2023, 05:40:12 AM »
was this considered a .45 Caliber rifle Hawg? I read that Pedersoli makes replicas of this rifle.
I also read the following quote on the all4shooters.com website.
"The case of Union General John Sedgwick is legendary. At the Battle of Spotsylvania, he was reprimanding his soldiers for throwing themselves to the ground at the sound of an incoming Whitworth bullet when he was shot dead by a Whitworth bullet to the head. His last words are reported to have been: “I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!”"

Dixie Gun Works has this one, PR0175 Pedersoli Mortimer Whitworth Rifle for merely $1,975.00  L@J

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2023, 08:48:36 AM »
was this considered a .45 Caliber rifle Hawg? I read that Pedersoli makes replicas of this rifle.
I also read the following quote on the all4shooters.com website.
"The case of Union General John Sedgwick is legendary. At the Battle of Spotsylvania, he was reprimanding his soldiers for throwing themselves to the ground at the sound of an incoming Whitworth bullet when he was shot dead by a Whitworth bullet to the head. His last words are reported to have been: “I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!”"

Dixie Gun Works has this one, PR0175 Pedersoli Mortimer Whitworth Rifle for merely $1,975.00  L@J

Yeah it's a .45. His last words were "they couldn't hit an eleph". That Pedersoli has cut rifling. Pedersoli does make a Whitworth that has polygonal rifling like the original.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2023, 04:08:59 PM »
Thanks for posting this Hawg. Gun Jesus has some of the best videos on the internet.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Baron Von Kesselwalker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2023, 11:43:29 AM »
many moons ago when i was young dinosaur i shot long range silhouette matches, used Creedmoor technique  resting  revolver  barrel  on side of legg .. with proper aim  i was ok to 200 yds  +   ..  damn chickens were a problem ...

this was used way many years  prior    :cowboypistol:

http://www.researchpress.co.uk/index.php/marksmanship/art-of-shooting/the-back-position