Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: New (to me) ride  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
New (to me) ride
« on: July 06, 2023, 02:38:03 AM »
Well y'all know my wife's Altima burned up the other day leaving me with no choice but to drive my old 98 Silverado with 260K on the clock. It runs and drives great but it has a lot of issues and I haven't trusted it to go very far for a long time. I always had my wife follow me if I had to drive it any distance. So I've been looking for another ride I could afford. Everything I looked at was either junk or had more miles on it than my truck. I figured I'd have to get by with it and save what I could for a few months to get something with less miles on it. Well a buddy that lives on the other side of Columbus about 50 miles from here sent me a text with pics of a 2004 Jeep Cherokee with 110K on it and a lot of new parts for 1,500.00. It looked good from the pics but I figured it would be too good to be true or would be gone before I could get somebody to take me up there. Lawrence said he would drive down here and pick me up and take me up there. He said it was on the Air Force base in Columbus and the only people that would see it were military personnel and people that worked on the base. I called the guy and told him I was coming but it would be a couple of hours. I got there and he met me outside the gate. It was everything he said it was. New alternator and battery, new brake lines and pads and rotors front and rear and a new transmission. I doubt the tranny is new or even rebuilt. If it was either I doubt he would have sold it at that price but it is very, very clean, doesn't leak and it shifts like it should. Everything works except for the AC and the left rear door won't open. It does have a little rust but it's nothing I can't live with. I can fix the door and he said he thought the AC was just low on Freon. Plus I asked him if he would take 1,300.00 for it and he did. (7& This is the info sheet he had on it and the seats do work and it has 107K on the clock.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
Re: New (to me) ride
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 05:30:35 AM »
Good luck wit the new car. A friend was in the same situation and I just drove him to pick up a 2013 Nissan which, with 103,000 miles, had less mileage than the Chrysler he owned.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 05:33:11 AM »
$1500 vehicles are hard to come by these days.   In Colorado a used bicycle costs that much.     Maybe your Karma is changing Hawg.  I'm glad you found a deal on a utility vehicle in that good condition.   Good for you!

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 06:28:55 AM »
That's great news Hawg. I know military bases have those lots on post's across CONUS bases. A lot of good deals have been struck on those lots. A lot of times people just need to sell their vehicles for various reasons some as simple as a PCS to an OCONUS location. Glad you found a good vehicle!  :usa-flag-89:

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2023, 06:39:20 AM »
Very nice, Hawg! That's a beautiful vehicle for only $1300. I'm glad that worked out for you.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2023, 07:11:02 AM »
  Maybe your Karma is changing Hawg. 

I hope so. I've had so much bad stuff happen these last two months it's unbelievable. Y'all just know part of it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2023, 11:28:56 AM »
6 or 8 cylinder?

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2023, 12:48:54 PM »
6 or 8 cylinder?

V-8, 4.7 High Output.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2023, 03:09:13 PM »
Good deal!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2023, 04:01:47 PM »
I charged the AC and it works. I dunno how long it will work. If it's leaking too bad I'll take it somewhere and let them deal with it. I was looking around in the back and found a CD changer that holds 10 CD's. There weren't any CD's in it tho. There was one in the player but I'm not a fan of Godsmack.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2023, 07:03:29 PM »
That’s great Hawg. I sure hope the Freon stays where it belongs. Good deal.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2023, 07:20:46 PM »
Excellent! Hope it works out for you! You need a little sunshine.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline WECSOG

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2023, 01:33:47 PM »
2wd or 4? That's a good deal either way.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2023, 05:32:22 PM »
2wd or 4? That's a good deal either way.

Four wheel drive with Quadra Trac. Update on the AC. When I went to charge it up the compressor was engaged but it wasn't blowing cold air. It would only take about a can and a half of Freon and now it's blowing cold. It's not as cold as the Altima got but it's plenty cold. I don't have to run it on high all the time. It may have too much oil in the system.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2023, 08:24:41 PM »
Congrats Hawg! Should be a great ride.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick