Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Anchor Steam Brewing Co. San Francisco closing  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Anchor Steam Brewing Co. San Francisco closing
« on: July 13, 2023, 06:51:39 AM »
For what it's worth, I'm sure that anyone who enjoys a beer now and again and is from the pacific side of the U.S. may have heard the recent news regarding the Anchor Steam Brewing company.
    I had my first Anchor Steam beer back in 1981 while on a road trip to Los Angeles. ASB eventually made it to the east coast in the early 90's I believe. It is considered to be the oldest craft been brewery in the U.S. I am only aware of one other Steam Beer and it is called Angel. I believe it still is or was brewed in England. Not sure if it still exists. I did not realize that Sapporo, a Japanese brewing company had purchased Anchor back in 2017. They rebranded the labeling and packaging. They even began selling canned six packs and it was hard to find it bottled anymore around GA. I bought a six pack in the cans once and the cans appeared smaller yet it said 12 oz right on the can. I opened one and a large amount of beer just jumped out of the can on to the countertop. It seems as if there was no "wiggle room" in the can? So when the little tab sank into the can it forced some beer out. A poor design. It seems to me that Sapporo did not do much for the Anchor Steam Brewing company but maybe helped them close the doors after 127 years?
https://apnews.com/article/anchor-brewing-beer-brewer-liquidate-san-francisco-3be3d9b66ea3e54f339ff1062246676f   

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Re: Anchor Steam Brewing Co. San Francisco closing
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2023, 11:40:07 AM »
Well, that's too bad. Anchor is a good brew. Correction, was a good brew.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2023, 11:46:30 AM »
I agree Marshal. Thanks Z

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 12:52:20 PM »
Sorry to hear that. I had a few bottled Anchor Steam beers back in the 1980s or '90s after reading that it was the most authentic type of beer found in saloons in the Old West.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2023, 01:04:40 PM »
Sorry to hear that. I had a few bottled Anchor Steam beers back in the 1980s or '90s after reading that it was the most authentic type of beer found in saloons in the Old West.
Bishop Creek, I was not aware of that. That is interesting indeed. Thank you. Z

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2023, 05:10:43 PM »
I never heard of them but then I haven't had a beer since the early 70's.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.