Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Latest dumb mistake  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
Latest dumb mistake
« on: July 17, 2023, 05:41:20 PM »
I needed to run off some .454 round ball as I wanted to try out my recent used Rogers & Spencer acquisition. I have three different pots--one that contain pure lead, another with a bit harder mix and finally one with very hard alloy. Cast a couple hundred and got to the range and you guessed it--I must have used the hard alloy pot as I could barely seat them :icon_scratch:. Fortunately I had a few soft lead balls and even better the gun shot pretty good with those. So, back in the pot the other ones go. At this point in my life I am able to laugh off and forget these types of irritating mistakes. I do not believe in trying to seat anything but pure lead in a percussion pistol as I actually witnessed someone bend the loading lever on a Ruger Old Army using hard lead. So at least I was smart enough to quit before I did something similar!
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Latest dumb mistake
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2023, 06:24:50 PM »
I accidently cast some out of hard lead and broke a lever on a Uberti Remington.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2023, 06:39:06 PM »
Happens more frequently than you think
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2023, 08:15:25 AM »
Boy,, I had the same problem yesterday at the range.. A batch of 451 I. Cast. For revolvers turned out way to
Hard to load..I will go through my lead to test for. Hardness..  lot of work down the drain