Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: The Marshal Bears Awl  (Read 793 times)

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
The Marshal Bears Awl
« on: July 21, 2023, 04:30:35 PM »
If you've ever hand stitched your leather, you know the benefit of a good stitch awl. Here's a photo of my selection of awls at this time.

From left to right:

Before listing them there are a couple points (no pun intended) to mention. NO WAY will I use an awl that takes a lot of force to penetrate. I use a diamond awl for stitching. I always work over the tips to be a long taper with a sharp point that will go through leather with ease. I strop them now & then and keep a cake of beeswax handy to stick them in if they start to drag when stitching.

1) Vergez-Blanchard 38mm diamond awl. This is my go-to and has been for a number of years. I like it because the brass bezel is narrow, .295 " diameter or therabouts. It's small and fits nicely into the palm of my hand. There is absolutely no finish on the wood so it doesn't take any effort to grip.

2) This is the newest one as of yesterday. The handle I made (the toilet plunger handle is now a few inches shorter) with a similar bezel diameter to the V-B. It has a CS Osborne #43 tip in it that I pulled out of an Osborne awl because the handle was too big and it never got used. There are times when I need a longer awl so this fills that need.

3) This is one was made for times when a larger hole is required. The tip is probably half again bigger across than the V-B. I kind of copied the Tandy handle shape but mistakenly made the bezel the same diameter as a Tandy one.

4) A Tandy awl and the first diamond awl I every had. The tip is too short to be useful for anything but I keep it around for sentimental reasons, I guess.

5) A round awl for those times when a round one is needed for something. I recently got this one from Amazon. It's a WUTA brand and feels like a good quality item for the price. Time will tell how 'quality' it is. The bezel is also narrow, like the V-B one. It has flats on two sides of the wood but they're a bit small to be very useful. It still rolls away when I set it down. Maybe I'll sand them flatter one of these days.

Just for size reference, here is a photo that compares the first two awls and the Osborne handle. That Osborne awl rolled around the work bench like a bowling pin. I never knew where it was going to be when I wanted to reach for it.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Marshal Bears Awl
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2023, 07:18:00 PM »
It's probably not any good for anything but I've got what was advertised as a sailmakers awl I bought from a mail order outfit called P&S Sales back in the late 60's. It has a built in bobbin and came filled with heavy waxed thread. It still has the original thread and a few different sized needles stored in the handle.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2023, 09:18:48 PM »
It's probably not any good for anything but I've got what was advertised as a sailmakers awl I bought from a mail order outfit called P&S Sales back in the late 60's. It has a built in bobbin and came filled with heavy waxed thread. It still has the original thread and a few different sized needles stored in the handle.
Nothing wrong with those speedy stitchers. They're especially good for repairs when you don't have your stitching stuff handy. I have one myself but it doesn't get much use. If I was riding fence or working a field, it would be with me all the time.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2023, 08:29:21 PM »
It's wierd how we latch onto some tools and other perfectly good ones collect dust.    I can't necessarily say why I like some over others,  it just happens.
Here's some of the awls I have on my bench.   I have more but they are put away somewhere.   These are the ones I keep out for various tasks but I really only use the first three very often.   I do most sewing with the first one.   The second is an antique I picked up and is homemade.   I like the small size of the third one and the slim pencil-like handle of the fourth one works well for certain jobs.
The last four are easy-change handles with multiple blade styles.   I don't use any of these much.  They are heavier and more awkward in the hand than the permanent ferrule ones so they most get used for just a hole or two.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2023, 09:06:26 PM »
Thanks for sharing those, Mike. Nice assortment, there. Is that first one a modified Osborne? If so, then shortening up the butt of the handle looks like it would be a good mod. That home made antique has real class! I like one-off tools like that. Is that the guy's wedding ring jammed on there?

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2023, 07:26:08 AM »
Thanks for sharing those, Mike. Nice assortment, there. Is that first one a modified Osborne? If so, then shortening up the butt of the handle looks like it would be a good mod. That home made antique has real class! I like one-off tools like that. Is that the guy's wedding ring jammed on there?

It does look like an Osborn with the button cut off but I think it's a cheaper knock off.   It's too old to be a Chinese copy,  I've had it forever.
I like the antique one best but am afraid to use it all the time.    The brass ring was probably a way to gauge where you were holding it without having to look while sewing.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2023, 07:42:49 AM »

It does look like an Osborn with the button cut off but I think it's a cheaper knock off.   It's too old to be a Chinese copy,  I've had it forever.
I like the antique one best but am afraid to use it all the time.    The brass ring was probably a way to gauge where you were holding it without having to look while sewing.
The ring placement makes sense. Maybe make another one like that antique for everyday use then break out the old one now and then for your enjoyment.