Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Bore seasoning? What does that even mean?  (Read 1166 times)

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
Bore seasoning? What does that even mean?
« on: August 09, 2023, 04:44:47 PM »
 In perusing various black powder gun sites over the years it’s been impossible not to read guys talking about how “you need to season the bore”.  Even Blackie Thomas offhandedly trips ‘bore seasoning’ (not just ‘greezing’ the bore, I’m good with that).  Posters are never clear on WTF they’re referring to.  I have asked and mentioned that these are not frying pans we’re dealing with but never got an explanatory response- not once.  I have long thought it was complete BS and still do, sorta, but maybe there is something to it (?).  Any one here have an opinion/facts on this?

A second question concerns ‘bore polish’.  Is it just for remedial purposes on a jacked-up problem bore or does it also help a nice shiny pipe?  First thing some guys say they do on a new gun … polish the bore.  I have never used bore polish; never thought I needed to. 
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Bore seasoning? What does that even mean?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2023, 05:53:56 PM »
Bore seasoning is a marketing gimmick for Bore Butter and others. You can't season steel. When you season cast iron you build up a layer of burned carbon to make a non stick surface. The pores in steel are too close together. Even if you wanted any kind of buildup in a bore you couldn't do it. Bore polish will smooth out rough rifling but then so will shooting it. The polish is just a shortcut. It's not something you want to do over and over again.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Bore seasoning? What does that even mean?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2023, 06:03:26 PM »
Bore seasoning is a marketing gimmick for Bore Butter and others. You can't season steel. When you season cast iron you build up a layer of burned carbon to make a non stick surface. The pores in steel are too close together. Even if you wanted any kind of buildup in a bore you couldn't do it. Bore polish will smooth out rough rifling but then so will shooting it. The polish is just a shortcut. It's not something you want to do over and over again.

What Hawg said. 100%.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"