Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Mike does 2023 Uberti 1860  (Read 2326 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Mike does 2023 Uberti 1860
« on: August 10, 2023, 07:37:21 AM »
Hi, Mike has a new video on the 2023 Uberti 1860 Army:

While Mike is ga ga about the Uberti Quality, there are a few comments suggesting otherwise.

Still a short arbor?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
Re: Mike does 2023 Uberti 1860
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 01:39:53 PM »
Good’ol Beliveau.  Fun vid.  Thanks ssb. 

No mention of cylinder gap / end shake.  I don’t think Mike believes in short Uberti arbors.

Getting used to a brass back strap  on an 1860 would require more energy than I’d care to invest.  Unless it were a blow-out bargain or an outright gift that brass would kill the deal for
me.

For a total less than a pack of California Camels I got a set of those star cappers from Mesa Winds.  They work good.

Did Beliveau mention how much powder he was using in those carts?
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 02:48:14 PM »
Just watched the full video on Rumble. I wonder why Uberti decided to offer the brass backstrap as an option. After looking at it for a while I started to like it.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 02:56:05 PM »
I thought it was just Pietta that rewrote history.  Maybe it’s a Latin thing and I wouldn’t understand.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2023, 04:18:54 PM »
I watched 5 or 6 minutes of it. My opinion of Uberti just dropped a notch, not that it means anything. Early on Uberti made some brass frame navy .44's but then they wizened up and quit making them. Since then they've stayed pretty true to the original design except for Remingtons with adjustable sights and of course the notorious short arbor. I doubt they will ever fix that. They see it as an improvement. I guess they're starting to lose sight of the originality.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2023, 08:49:56 AM »
Some of the very early original 1860s came with the Navy grip(and I believe a 7 1/2" barrel). I don't recall if those early Navy grips were brass. I wish Colt would have kept them that way as I find the 61 Navy more a natural pointer.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2023, 10:31:30 AM »
Fewer than 100 1860's came with navy grips and the backstrap was brass. However it was a fairly popular mod back in the day to put navy grips on 1860's.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2023, 01:16:10 AM »
After seeing the groin shots, a guy kinda feels for Little Roy.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2023, 04:50:18 AM »
... I guess they're starting to lose sight of the originality.

Hawg,

In my opinion they started down that path when they redesigned the frames to accept the 45 long Colt cartridge to accommodate the Cowboy shooters who could not be bothered to load an authentic cartridge in their conversion pieces.  Once the had the bigger frame for the cartridge pieces, they used it in the percussion revolvers as well to streamline manufacture. It is a vastly different feel in the hand and not a pleasant one.  Especially if you have any experience with the original pieces.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2023, 05:29:07 AM »
It's been a long time since I held an original percussion Colt but I don't think they made the frames bigger to accept .45 Colt cartridges. They've always been a little bigger than originals but not as big as Pietta's.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2023, 04:35:46 PM »
It's been a long time since I held an original percussion Colt but I don't think they made the frames bigger to accept .45 Colt cartridges. They've always been a little bigger than originals but not as big as Pietta's.

Kevin's talking about the "factory" conversions. The arbor is centered further from the frame water table to accommodate a larger diameter cylinder that will  hold 6 cartridges instead of 5 like the cylinders from Kirst/Howell.
 The barrels/ cylinders don't  "intermingle" with the cap guns.

Mike

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2023, 05:19:13 PM »

Kevin's talking about the "factory" conversions. The arbor is centered further from the frame water table to accommodate a larger diameter cylinder that will  hold 6 cartridges instead of 5 like the cylinders from Kirst/Howell.

Mike

He said they used the bigger frames for the newer cap guns.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2023, 06:48:21 PM »

Mike

He said they used the bigger frames for the newer cap guns.

Correct.  One size fits all.  The same frame is used for the Uberti conversions as the Uberti percussion revolvers. Can’t inconvenience those Cowboy shooters with historical fact. 

I have a pair of Uberti 1861 Improved Navies from the very early 1970s.  I also have a pair from the late 1990s or early 2000s. The difference in the frame size is noticeable.

The early Uberties, Gregorelli & Uberti, and ASM more perfectly replicated the original Colt size revolvers.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2023, 07:59:01 PM »
I haven't noticed any difference between my Pietta navy and my Uberti Richards Mason made IIRC 2021. Now I'll have to check. Of course Pietta is bigger than Uberti to start with.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2023, 05:51:15 PM »
Hmmmm .  .  .  I'll have to see what's in the shop .  .  .  I just sent back a pair of '72's in 45C. I have a pair of RM .38's from Tame Bill, I'll do a comparison of them and my own Uberti '60s tomorrow.

Mike