Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Thuer style 38 rimfire  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Shootemup

• View Profile
Thuer style 38 rimfire
« on: September 27, 2023, 10:25:36 AM »
Anyone have any idea on who made this and why they would have done it in a 38 rimfire instead of 38 centerfire ?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1007897207

Online Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Thuer style 38 rimfire
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 10:41:09 AM »
It's not a Thuer, it's a Richards. The Thuer loaded from the front like a paper cartridge.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Shootemup

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 10:50:39 AM »
I agree Hawg but they made the conversion ring look like a Thuer ring look at pictures 57 and 58 plus they made it rimfire look at the position of the firing pin in picture 58

Online Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 11:24:06 AM »
That is a strange dog indeed. I didn't look at all the pics before. I found an auction for one back in July that sold for 750.00. I guess the rimfire version is mainly for display and the cap and ball version is for shooting.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2023, 12:18:33 PM »
I wonder if that is one of Gary Barnes Thuer conversion rings on that Colt Navy.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2023, 12:48:21 PM »
I wonder if that is one of Gary Barnes Thuer conversion rings on that Colt Navy.

It is not one of Gary's conversions.  I own two of Gary's Thuer conversions and this is similar but not the same.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2023, 07:54:50 PM »
Not a Richards either.  They were central fire.  Similar but no rear sight on the conversion ring, and a few other details.  Just a gunsmith conversion.  Well done. 

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Online Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2023, 08:39:48 PM »
Not a Richards either.  They were central fire.  Similar but no rear sight on the conversion ring, and a few other details.  Just a gunsmith conversion.  Well done. 

Kevin

Go look at all the pics.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2023, 06:10:06 PM »

Kevin

Go look at all the pics.

I did.  What am I not seeing? 

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Online Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2023, 09:19:59 PM »
This would be a lot more expensive to do than a regular conversion and there's more than one.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2023, 07:06:18 AM »
That ring looks to be a safety by rotating the firing pin off the cartridge rim so it won't fire. I'd expect that is so one could load and carry 6 rounds safely all the time.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2023, 09:51:03 AM »
That ring looks to be a safety by rotating the firing pin off the cartridge rim so it won't fire. I'd expect that is so one could load and carry 6 rounds safely all the time.

It is a safety ring that rotates,   Have a look here, https://coltcountryforum.com/index.php/topic,2489.0.html

I believe Gary Barnes now holds a patent on the Thuer conversion ring he sells. 

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2023, 09:59:01 AM »

It is a safety ring that rotates,   Have a look here, https://coltcountryforum.com/index.php/topic,2489.0.html

I believe Gary Barnes now holds a patent on the Thuer conversion ring he sells.
That's very similar. It would be ideal if it could be rotated to a third position with a loading port in it. Of course, then it would cause issues if cocked with the muzzle pointing up. Maybe it's better as it is with either one.