Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Absent Members  (Read 2080 times)

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
Absent Members
« on: October 05, 2023, 10:25:40 AM »
Might anyone here be in contact with Scooby or Omnivore?  Idaho guys.  Each a force of nature and hiked, camped, rode and mule packed.  Shot their share of various quadrupeds.  Scooby posted a photo of himself and a mountain lion he’d killed. Omni would harvest deer with a long Remington and his own big conicals, usually from a tree stand.  They posted many great photos over at 58 Remington too, before it’s collapse.  They also wrote well.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Absent Members
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 11:37:19 AM »
Omnivore was at the Gulch but he must have gotten banned. I can only find about three references to his name and he's not on the members list.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 12:48:01 PM »
Thanks for checking, Hawg.  Can’t imagine Omni getting banded from anywhere.  He always had a circumspect air
about him.  Can’t figure getting banded for anything in the world at the Gulch - jeez, it was a free-for-all over there, last I checked.

Thanks again, bud.
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 01:24:26 PM »
Scooby is alive and well in Idaho.   I talk to him occasionally on the phone. 
Omnivore had recovered from a months long illness and returned to the forum breifly.   I spoke to him a few times via email after he quit visiting here but it has been a while since we have had any contact.
Both Omnivore and Scooby had some technical problems and have not decided to return yet.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2023, 01:56:38 PM »
Thank you, Mike. Glad to hear they are both still in action.  Next time you speak with them, if you think of it, please relay my compliments and respect. Those are good men. 
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2023, 03:03:28 PM »
Thanks for checking, Hawg.  Can’t imagine Omni getting banded from anywhere.  He always had a circumspect air
about him.  Can’t figure getting banded for anything in the world at the Gulch - jeez, it was a free-for-all over there, last I checked.

Thanks again, bud.

A lot of people have gotten gone from over there including old timers.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2023, 08:55:42 PM »
Might anyone here be in contact with Scooby or Omnivore?  Idaho guys.  Each a force of nature and hiked, camped, rode and mule packed.  Shot their share of various quadrupeds.  Scooby posted a photo of himself and a mountain lion he’d killed. Omni would harvest deer with a long Remington and his own big conicals, usually from a tree stand.  They posted many great photos over at 58 Remington too, before it’s collapse.  They also wrote well.

Well if they were close to Caldwell, those of you in contact, feel free to share my digits... ike you have them, but 208.724.7305. I could use a shooting buddy and I want my two boys left at home with me, exposed to the "old guard". Have a respect for the generation that came before me.

I'll leave this post with one of my favorite songs

Back Story : https://youtu.be/H5dezH-4vZQ?si=yz-Tw8BXD0rUA66X

Actual song: (yeahhhhh... we'll go with the acoustic version for the video...) https://youtu.be/DYv8I_Wr7q8?si=ipSkO41z7JQwNPuD

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2023, 04:42:39 PM »
Scooby left of his own volition, deleting all of his posts in the process which made Swiss cheese of the many threads he posted on and leaving a heck of a mess to clean up after. He said someone hacked his account and used his moderator status to do that. That's all I know about that.
Omni disappeared without a trace. Again, no idea why.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2023, 06:37:19 PM »
Absent members?  That’s about everybody.  Here is beyond moribund - it’s dead as salt pork.  Does anyone here actually shoot guns or is this place just all hat?  Asking for a friend.
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2023, 10:54:11 PM »
Absent members?  That’s about everybody.  Here is beyond moribund - it’s dead as salt pork.  Does anyone here actually shoot guns or is this place just all hat?  Asking for a friend.

Everytime I post, I seem to kill the thread... so I voyeur. and that's it. Still Here. Still burning the Holy Black, and still carry my pieces in mike116's dead cow parts.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2023, 11:05:12 PM »
“Dead cow parts”, that’s good teamster.   Horns & Holsters - gotta have em.  Gotta love em.

Keep deflagrating subs and exploding black and we will all live and die better men.
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2023, 05:25:34 AM »
Sam "Mad Dog" Stafford  follows my Facebook page.    He "liked" a few posts recently so I know he's still kickin around the interwebs.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2023, 06:54:57 AM »
If he can do facebook I wonder why he no longer comes on the forum.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2023, 12:39:34 PM »
I fear that forums are a dying breed. People aren't very likely to post when there's only 8 semi-active members. Facebook is slowly killing the forums off in just about every hobby.

It's much more gratifying to make a post and get 100's of responses, and many conversations started. Than it is to make a post, get two or three one word responses and then the topic dies.

Just my observation of course. As usual, I could be totally wrong.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2023, 01:23:58 PM »
Yeah there's a lot of gun groups of every breed on facebook but people on FB get their panties in a wad way too easily as they do on dedicated modern gun forums. I've left most of the groups I was in and ll of the dedicated forums except for one of the 1911 forums.. Some forums are doing well. Mostly modern gun forums. There's one or two modern gun forums with a bp sub forum that's doing well. Most of us here are old timers with nothing new to add. That's probably the biggest thing.