Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: how to ship a BLK Powder pistol now days?  (Read 959 times)

Offline camo

• View Profile
how to ship a BLK Powder pistol now days?
« on: October 08, 2023, 02:19:20 PM »
Greeting, It's been awhile since I've been on but I am in need to thin the heard a bit. I have two to sell but wonder about how to ship. I believe UPS used to ship hand guns but don't know if they still do? Once I can feel safe about how to ship I'd like to but them up. Thank you in advance.
What did you think, before the 11:00 news told you what to think?

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: how to ship a BLK Powder pistol now days?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 07:19:08 PM »
I shipped one about a year ago via usps with no issues. Boxed it up , paid postage and off she went. 

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2023, 07:37:46 PM »
As long as it is a percussion or flintlock pistol, revolver, or rifle that is considered an antique (made before 1898) by the ATF it can be legally shipped via the US Postal service, UPS, or Fed Ex.    This includes original antique firearms and replicas.   You don't even need to declare what is in the box.    You cannot ship ammo, powder, or percussion caps in the same box,  even with a hazmat certification.

This is the basics,  check for yourself as I can't guarantee the accuracy since I'm not a shipping expert.

Offline tinhorn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2023, 07:40:50 PM »
I'm not a lawyer, but it's my understanding that BP revolvers are not firearms. I've recently purchased a few, including from a large online business, and received them in my mailbox. And I'm in Massachusetts. There ARE some places (New Jersey, NYC, Washington State, and others) where BP replicas have to go through an FFL.

S-o-o-o-o-o....what are you selling?

Offline camo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 04:54:53 AM »
thank you for your response and advice, yes these are Blk powder revolvers and I'll be putting them up soon.
What did you think, before the 11:00 news told you what to think?

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2023, 11:37:39 AM »
The criterion is not that they are BP revolvers but that they do not use fixed ammunition. Some BP revolvers do use fixed ammo and would therefor be prohibited from being shipped privately (e.g. SAA). 

What Mike said, above.

For many purposes other than shipping they are all ‘firearms’.  Examples would be convicted felons, open and concealed carry, armed robbery, 187’s, ugly in public & highway mopery.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 11:46:57 AM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle