Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Leather Workers  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Leather Workers
« on: November 19, 2023, 05:40:13 AM »
For future projects what tools do you recommend? What are good brands? I probably won't use them much but I don't want cheap crap. I'm mainly looking for cutting and stitching not decorating.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Re: Leather Workers
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2023, 06:48:43 AM »
That's an open ended question, Hawg. What are you interested in? For example, I counted the different tools I used to make a holster one time and it was over 60 different ones.

For cutting, it depends on the project. Here are the knives I use most of the time. I don't use all of them on any one project, though. Just the ones that will get the job done. I also have several pairs of shears and a lot of other knives that seldom get used. The second knife in the bottom row is the one I use the most. I can push a straight cut the full length of a hide or roll a nice tight radius with it.

And here are my stitching tools. Again ones I use most of the time. The photo shows one stitch groover although I have 3 or 4 for different purposes. It shows one stitch roller and I have 7 of them. It also shows one stitch awl and I have 5 or 6, depending on what the need is. That is also not the only pair of dividers I have. The photo doesn't include harness needles, thread or bees wax. The strip of leather was just in there for an example when I took the photo.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 06:58:41 AM by Marshal Will »

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2023, 07:14:24 AM »
Mostly for cutting and laying out stitch lines and keeping them straight in fairly stiff leather. I know at some point I'll want to make a decent knife sheath and a ball bag etc. I could buy the ball bag but what's the fun in that? The knife I want the sheath for is homemade with an 11 inch blade and a big chunk of elk antler for a handle. I can't buy that unless I have it custom made.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2023, 10:25:02 AM »
Mostly for cutting and laying out stitch lines and keeping them straight in fairly stiff leather. I know at some point I'll want to make a decent knife sheath and a ball bag etc. I could buy the ball bag but what's the fun in that? The knife I want the sheath for is homemade with an 11 inch blade and a big chunk of elk antler for a handle. I can't buy that unless I have it custom made.
A good knife. One of the smaller round knives would probably do you well. Maybe with a 3-1/2" blade. Get a good quality one or make your own like I did. H.G. Gomph, vintage C.S. Osborne can be found on ebay almost all the time. Check with Bruce Johnson. He lists lots of good older tools. He's a leather worker himself so you can call and talk with him about your needs, too. Some guys use a box knife but I find I do better, and safer, work with a blade that cuts away from me rather than one you drag toward you.

A stitch groover. One of the better ones I've found is the one in the photo.

A pair of dividers will let you mark any size stitch.

A stitch awl. I like the Vergez-Blanchard ones but there are a lot of good ones out there. My favorite is one of the 38mm ones.

A small to medium edge beveler for most holster sized projects. I like these. You can get a full set of blades but the "1" will do most holster sized work.

A straight edge. I prefer an 8" x 12" carpenter's square for most smaller projects but there are times you need a longer one.

To stitch, you'll need some harness needles, thread and bees wax.

Oh, yeah, everything needs to be sharp. S H A R P! I strop my blades on a piece of leather with jeweler's rouge on it. When the blade starts to drag on the leather, strop. That is true for your stitch awl, too. Sharpen everything and keep them sharp.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2023, 10:30:04 AM »
Thank you! So my knife sheath will cost approximately 100.00. (7+"
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 10:45:10 AM by Hawg »

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2023, 10:31:18 AM »
Glad to help. Feel free to ask when you have questions. All the leather workers here will give you honest information based on their experience.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2023, 10:42:20 AM »
Also, when you're ready to start stitching, let us know. We can help you get it right. There are good books on stitching and lacing. You want to learn how to do a double needle saddle stitch. Al Stohlman wrote some books on the subject. You may be able to find one on ebay.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2023, 10:55:11 AM »
I can saddle stitch but the stitches always look crooked. I have made a few knife sheaths but they're more for looking at than using. I have used the patch knife some and it's held up pretty good but it stays in my possibles bag. You can see the crooked stitching better on it.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2023, 01:30:37 PM »
Here's some options to get started.   You must already have an awl and needles if you sewed the sheath for your patch knife.  Any Utility knife will suffice for most leather cutting.   A #3 edge beveler  will do for most leather above 6oz.   Wing dividers are available at hobby stores and hardware stores cheaper than at Tandy.    You really don't need a stitch groover,  you can mark your stitch line with the wing divider.    A regular 3 or four prong table fork can be used to mark stitch spacing.   Bend the tines to adjust the spacing.  A set of hole punches is always a good thing to have.  Gasket punches from the auto parts store work about as good as the ones from the leather store.
I have seen a lot of excellent leather work done with minimal tools.   It takes practice to sew nice straight stitches on both side of the leather.   Mark both sides and work on punching from the front to back while hitting both the front and back marks.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ROBERTS-Big-Fatso-Multipurpose-Utility-Knife-with-Quick-Blade-Change-10-218F/303068525

https://tandyleather.com/collections/tools/products/craftool-edge-bevelers

https://tandyleather.com/products/wing-divider?_pos=1&_sid=c8bb029c0&_ss=r

https://tandyleather.com/products/stitching-awl-with-1-116-blade?_pos=1&_sid=9146e04e7&_ss=r

https://tandyleather.com/products/waxed-nylon-thread-25-yards?_pos=1&_sid=5a26d3915&_ss=r

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-hollow-punch-set-3838.html

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2023, 02:43:21 PM »
Thanks Mike. I do have an awl but I haven't seen it in about 50 forevers. I drilled those holes with a hand drill and just eyeballed the spacing. I've done some soft leather drawstring bags that look pretty decent but the stitching is on the inside. I did have some needles but 15 years and two moves I dunno where they are or even if I still have them. I'm a ways away from getting into this. I'm just looking at how much it's going to cost basically.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2023, 04:24:56 PM »
Mike has some great advice for you. All I can add to that is to make sure that every stitch is done the same. I start from the front then follow from the back making sure that the needle is on the same side of the thread each time. Then it's practice. I like a diamond awl held at the same angle for each hole so the stitches have a hard time pulling through and they all lie the same. That awl Mike gave the link for should be a good one.