Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Might get lucky with a few virgins tomorrow.  (Read 950 times)

Offline tinhorn

• View Profile
Might get lucky with a few virgins tomorrow.
« on: December 08, 2023, 07:55:58 PM »
Don't get a chance to shoot very often, but I do enjoy fussing with these "old man fidget spinners". Might get a chance tomorrow to go to the range. While the missus is ruining perfectly good targets by blasting out the bullseye with her stainless Bearcat, I'm hoping to deflower these little beauties.

Customized Pietta 1858 Remington with Kirst .22 converter. Bought it from Saxman on GB--sweet revolver. Dropped in a .45 LC cylinder with laser cartridges--hahahaha--front sight is WAY tall, but it looks too cool to file it down. Just gonna use Kentucky windage.

Uberti 1849 Colt Wells Fargo with Kirst .22 converter. Never owned a Colt replica 'til recently. Man, it just dances in my hand like a woodland fairy. Have since acquired an 8" 1860 but haven't played with that one yet. Came with .45 LC and .22 conversion cylinders. Oughta be a hoot when I have time for it.

Pietta 1863 Pocket Remington with Howell .32 S&W converter. Just snagged some ammo, so we'll see how it treats me.

Gonna test my solution for .22 cartridges trying to fall out of the Kirst cylinders when cocking unless the gun is pointed at the ground. Works okay when dry firing--gotta see what happens in the real world. Sure hope I can get to the range.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
Re: Might get lucky with a few virgins tomorrow.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 09:26:13 PM »
Nice pistols! Looks like the one in the middle has a crowned muzzle.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 05:00:51 AM »
Very nice tinhorn!! Thanks for the pictures and I hope you can make it to the range.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 07:55:25 AM »
Best of luck. Pix are mandatory!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2023, 12:05:22 PM »
Remington pockets are neat.  I’m a fan.  A family member has a steel Pietta and a .32 S&W conversion to go along and it’s a great little thing.  Too packable not to have one in a pocket somewhere.  What is your opinion of your own, tinhorn?
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2023, 12:41:27 PM »
When you said.....I thought you meant.....Never mind. (7+"
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2023, 02:16:04 PM »
Never said nothin and didn’t mean it, either. L@J
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2023, 04:35:56 PM »
When you said.....I thought you meant.....Never mind. (7+"

(7+" (7+" (7+" (7+"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2023, 04:38:45 PM »
Kinda diggin' that baby pocket Remmy. That would be slick with the .32 S&W conversion.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2023, 05:21:04 PM »
Kinda diggin' that baby pocket Remmy. That would be slick with the .32 S&W conversion.

It would indeed.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline tinhorn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2023, 02:32:17 PM »
Remington pockets are neat.  I’m a fan.  A family member has a steel Pietta and a .32 S&W conversion to go along and it’s a great little thing.  Too packable not to have one in a pocket somewhere.  What is your opinion of your own, tinhorn?

If it's got a loading lever, I like it. A lot! Haven't shot the Pocket Remington--ammo has been a little scarce, and the few times the missus and I get to go shooting, we have Bearcats and other .22 single actions to wring out. I do keep one nearby, though, to use as a fidget spinner. The size is just fascinating. The 1849 Colt Wells Fargo is the new, shiny thing that has got my attention.

Didn't make it to the range. The missus says we HAVE to go, though, during her holiday break.

After cleaning the elderly neighbor's gutters, I got to eyeballing the little 1849. Remembering the blood blister it gave me when I was dry-firing weak hand, I dug out my needle files and went to work. THAT ain't gonna happen again.

(Until I took the pics I had no idea how rough that brass frame is. And I remove the nipples before dry-firing as well as sticking a piece of leather on the frame where the hammer hits it.)

Then I got to fussing around with a Kirst .22 conversion cylinder. Got to wondering why, if a guy inserted that .22 barrel, the .31 barrel would need to extend beyond the insert. Probably doesn't, says I. It now overhangs about 3/16”, just enough to preserve “Italy” on the bottom of the barrel.

Not sure what I think of the appearance. Going to install a small brass shotgun bead on the front—not a fan of that sharp, itty bitty Uberti sight.

Offline tinhorn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2023, 06:06:44 PM »

The hell ya say. They're scarce as hen's teeth but I might have an extra one. (Was saving it for the Zombie Apocalypse.) How many posts do I need before posting in the Buy/Sell forum?