Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Pistol shooting stance video  (Read 1097 times)

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
Pistol shooting stance video
« on: December 12, 2023, 01:36:58 PM »
Beliveau does a good vid on stance.  Historically used, graphic and photographic representations and comparisons.  Do you do variations or stick with one tried and true method for single action?

https://www.mikebeliveau.com/video-gallery

Scroll down to “latest video”
Shooting Stances of the Old West
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 01:47:39 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Pistol shooting stance video
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 02:50:18 PM »
I don't do any approved stance. I stand facing the target and my arm is straight. A target has to be a long way off for me to use two hands. My wife used a bent arm stance as it was more comfortable for her.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2023, 03:15:37 PM »
I always shoot my cap 'n ball revolvers one handed. Holding them two handed just doesn't seem right.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2023, 04:57:56 AM »
I always shoot my cap 'n ball revolvers one handed. Holding them two handed just doesn't seem right.
You must not shoot a Walker or Dragoon, or you have arms like a tree trunk!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2023, 05:36:46 AM »

I shoot my Walker and Dragoons one handed.    I haven't shot them since I had shoulder problems though so maybe I should be quiet.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2023, 06:00:27 AM »

I shot  my dragoon one handed, never owned a Walker. Don't really want one. I dunno bout tree trunks and yeah I know it's not bp but I don't have a pic of me shooting bp.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2023, 08:32:23 AM »

Shooting my Walker one handed.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2023, 02:57:09 PM »
I've tried several different stances over the years. Probably just confused myself as just as I got comfortable with one I seemed to move on to another. That was in my bullseye training days. It wasn't until I started Cowboy Shooting and had to start acquiring multiple targets quickly that I had to rethink things a bit. My next bit of training is going to be point shooting so I'll have to figure that out.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2023, 05:13:34 PM »
The instructors I’ve had, beginning with my father, all believed that some point shooting was valuable as a confidence builder to go with whatever other stance one would most commonly use.
Early on, he would encourage my brother and I to open and close a shooting session with a few shots (usually six) instinctive style. I practiced that with my boys too and It makes a kid feel pretty good to learn they can do that.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2023, 11:46:02 PM »
I've had one, nay two guns I was "accurate" with. Wait, 3. My Chipmunk .22 Pre-Puberty, my 03-A3 aught six,(post Puberty Deer gun) and Dad's BRNO VZ-24 .35 Whelen, Ackley improved.

ANYTHING else, mine, yours smokeless, smokey, doesn't matter, IF I can chase a can, I'm whirl like a dervish ecstatic. (10/.22, CZ-52, any of the 58's, yup, even the target sighted model, not to be confused with the four figure target model, 1911, SR9-c, AR, quasi okay with my buddies FAL, but not great, Springfield XD... FINALLY past the flinch I acquired at 15, but... nowhere near my father's levels, who was sniper accurate)

My stance is somewhere between the Duelist and the Bisley, probably closer to the Duelist arm posture, and the Bisley "stance" posture.

One day (been threatening this for years) I'm going to go the range, and fix that. But as ammo steadily increases in price, and I work more and more hours to keep the rent paid and the lights, on, it remains an empty threat.