Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1886 Winchester  (Read 3420 times)

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 1886 Winchester
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2024, 06:16:44 AM »
Beyootiful rifle Cap. That looks like a larger version of the 1892. I guess technically the 92 looks like a smaller version of the 86. I didn't like tearing down my 92 either but with the 44-40 cartridges I didn't have to tear it down to clean it after shooting bp.
I agree Cap, that rifle looks awesome. I'm jealous.
Hawg, interesting. Please explain why you didn't have to clean your '92 after using 44.40 cartridges? Like hear more.

Online Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2024, 06:32:06 AM »
Hawg, interesting. Please explain why you didn't have to clean your '92 after using 44.40 cartridges? Like hear more.

I didn't say I didn't have to clean it. I just didn't tear it down to do it. The 44-40 is a bottleneck cartridge with a thin case neck. When it's fired the neck expands to completely seal the chamber from blow back. Powder residue can't get inside the action. The only way powder residue can get into it is from cleaning. When you push all that fouling out of the barrel with a patch it will get into the action but if you leave a fired cartridge in the chamber when you clean it the cartridge catches it all.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2024, 10:07:09 AM »

I didn't say I didn't have to clean it. I just didn't tear it down to do it. The 44-40 is a bottleneck cartridge with a thin case neck. When it's fired the neck expands to completely seal the chamber from blow back. Powder residue can't get inside the action. The only way powder residue can get into it is from cleaning. When you push all that fouling out of the barrel with a patch it will get into the action but if you leave a fired cartridge in the chamber when you clean it the cartridge catches it all.
I understand now. Thank you for clarifying. I've never had the pleasure to fire a 44.40 cartridge so that's a good thing to know. Sounds like a good round.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2024, 07:46:23 PM »
Hawg is correct. This is why I prefer a .44-40 WCF over a .45LC (straight wall case) in a BP lever action. Same goes for other bottleneck BP carts like the .38-55 and such.
If you're shooting smokeless, it's no different than cleaning any other smokeless rifle.

The big deal with the '86 is the complexity of the action. You need to pull the buttstock off the '86 to get at the mainspring and innards just to clean the darn thing.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2024, 05:04:04 AM »
Cap, in spite of having to remove the butt stock on your '86 are you still glad you bought it? It's mighty nice looking.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2024, 09:09:52 AM »
Cap, in spite of having to remove the butt stock on your '86 are you still glad you bought it? It's mighty nice looking.
I'm only gonna shoot smokeless. So I'll probably have to remove the buttstock, like...never?
Yes. Still super-hyped about it and don't regret it one second

Offline Shootemup

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2024, 09:12:00 AM »
Thats a great looking rifle Cap

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2024, 09:56:41 AM »
I'm only gonna shoot smokeless. So I'll probably have to remove the buttstock, like...never?
Yes. Still super-hyped about it and don't regret it one second
I think you have the right plan for this rifle. Maybe some day you might take it apart to do a deep cleaning but not for normal course of cleaning.

My cousin had a model 92 Hollywood gun that had many years of BP blanks run through it. It was extremely accurate and serviceable. He only bore cleaned it. With smokeless, you should have no problems.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2024, 10:21:47 AM »
I have an 1892 in 44-40,    I have completely broken it down for cleaning and just wiped the action and bore swabbed.   It was virtually clean inside when I did the tear down cleaning.   I have only used BP cartridges in it.    The 44 WCF cartridge really does make for a clean firing rifle.

Edited to say also....
Very nice rifle Capt'n.   I'm jealous,  I would happily fire BP cartridges and tear that rifle down every time I fired it.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2024, 11:16:00 AM »
I have an 1892 in 44-40,    I have completely broken it down for cleaning and just wiped the action and bore swabbed.   It was virtually clean inside when I did the tear down cleaning.   I have only used BP cartridges in it.    The 44 WCF cartridge really does make for a clean firing rifle.

Ditto, I fire 44-40 black powder cartridges in my 1873 lever gun and the action needs only a quick wiping when I clean the bore using a fired case.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2024, 03:27:08 PM »
...The 44 WCF cartridge really does make for a clean firing rifle...
Amen to that. The way a bottleneck cartridge seals is why the original Colt Lightning rifles were mostly in 38-40. I bought a replica one in 45 Colt and it always blew back severely in my face so I got rid of it. Had it been in 44-40 or 38-40, I'd probably still have it. That was an expensive lesson.

A friend of mine has an 1886 in 45-70 and it has no blow back at all. Perfect chamber sealing with that cartridge, too.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2024, 05:18:55 PM »
First off, a huge thanks to all you fellers that complimented my new thunderstick!
I love this thing and I haven't even shot it yet. I knew before I ordered it it was gonna be a smokeless pony. Same as my 1885 High Wall. I do have my Sharps in .45/70 BPCR for shooting the BP carts and that huge 535gr Postell bullet. It's all a part of the fun and variety.

Online Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2024, 07:28:11 PM »
First off, a huge thanks to all you fellers that complimented my new thunderstick!

Seriously? How could we not?  :icon_scratch:
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.