Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: At The Range, 2024!!! PART 1/PART II  (Read 971 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
At The Range, 2024!!! PART 1/PART II
« on: January 06, 2024, 09:09:19 PM »
Welp, true confessions here. One of my resolutions this year (and darn near the only one) was to stop letting excuses get in my way and get some doggone shooting in.
So my son and I resolved to get to the range today. I was awakened to a fresh snowfall of several inches, way too early for a Saturday morning. Range opens at 9:00 am sharp and we figured on getting there at least a half hour early. Which I did. Good thing my son got there earlier than me, because he had already paid for the last two indoor shooting benches and there was a line, brother! I thanked him for grabbing me a spot and we set up on opposite ends of the covered and heated portion of the 100/200 yard ranges. (there are ten indoor shooting benches with excellent lighting, ventilation and heat, so we didn't care if it was snowing...which it did all afternoon...and set in to shooting.
Now, he had brought several of his centerfire rifles and handloads, to map out his load data. Me, I brought my Browning High Wall in .45-70 and my 7mm mag, which we won't delve into.
I had not shot the High Wall in a few years now (hence that 'resolution') and wanted to check my most recent .45-70 smokeless loads, which I had specifically tailored to be as close to the factory Remington Core-Lokt 405gr semi-jacketed FN ammo you can buy off the shelf...at 60 bucks a box of 20. No thanks!
After putting up a target at 100 yards, I proceeded shooting. I immediately found that shooting a blued rear buckhorn along with a blued front blade silhouetted against a black 12" center target was, well...a whole lotta black. And since I couldn't see a bullseye on a black 12" circle, the results were disappointing and sporadic at best.
About 3/4 through my first batch of reloads, it suddenly struck me of the advice I had given my son years ago when teaching him how to shoot. He had asked what to do when your front sight covers a deer's vitals. "How can you aim for the sweet spot", he asked, "when your sight is blocking it?"

Easy, I had said. Set your sights to be dead-nuts at 6 o'clock...think of a pumpkin on a fence post.
I wondered if I had had the sense to set up my Browning sights that way last time I had sighted in? It had been so long I couldn't remember how or what I had done.
What the heck? I'll give 'er a try. So I leveled the front blade with the top of the rear buckhorn and slowly raised the sight picture up until it just kissed the bottom of the black at 6 o'clock and squeezed one off. I looked through my spotting scope and...am I dreaming? Dead-nuts elevation and maybe 3/4 inch to the right! The next shot was nearly touching the first one, and the third as well. Shot after shot continued to chew a big ragged hole on the edge of the ten-ring!

(TO BE CONTINUED)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 07:17:21 PM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: At The Range, 2024!!! PART 1
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 09:14:58 PM »
Cool Beans!!! I need to get off my butt and do some shooting but it's been too cold and wet.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: At The Range, 2024!!! PART 1/Part II
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 07:16:46 PM »
At The Range, Part II
 So now we know that yes, Virginia, the Browning CAN shoot. We also know my handloads shoot as well, or better than, the Remington .405gr factory rounds. From my perspective I'm inclined to say better. There is a down side to this, as the bullets I loaded into those cartridges were Remington .405gr FN bullets. And no longer being sold as components anywhere I can find. Yes, I still have some left, but not a lot. So once I've achieved the perfect load, time to start over again with a new bullet.
So there's that.
But then comes the next part. The part where I finished shooting, packed up, and was waiting by the sign in desk for my son to finish his last few rounds up.
It seems some things have changed at the range since my last visit. For one, the nicely finished, heated and well-lit enclosed shooting line now sports 10 shooting benches. For another, the $30.00 per day for non-members fee has gone up to $40.00 per day, which is not unusual or even unexpected. It would make it more difficult to do the thing I resolved to do...shoot more in 2024. They also joined the 21st century and now accept credit/debit cards instead of cash only. Hallelujah!
I inquired at the sign-in desk about membership fees. I'd resisted joining before due to the high fee for first time members. So the R.O. tells me new yearly memberships are now only $200.00. Then he asks if I'm a senior, over 62. Unfortunately, yes.
OK, then it's $180. Then he says, the $40.00 you paid today will be deducted from your fee as well if you sign up before you leave...down to $120.00!
Well, if there was a chronograph in the room, my debit card would have clocked about 3,000 fps, and the crack it made when I slapped it on the counter was like the sound of a .45/70 going off without hearing protection. So now, my shooting outings will cost $4.00 per day and gives me access to not only the rifle and pistol range, but also the skeet/trap, black powder, and archery ranges as well! Take that, Bidenomics!
In former years, with membership pricing the way it was, I would have to shoot 6 times a year just to break even. Now, if I shoot twice more this year I'm even and if I make the once-a-month goal I'm shooting for (yes, pun intended) I'm money way ahead. And I get to shoot a whole bunch. Which was the whole idea in the first place... (7&

Here is a view of the newly remodeled, 10 shooting bench indoor portion of the 100/200 yard rifle range:

Here is a shot of the High Wall on the bench:

A shot of the second target. There are at least 20 rounds in this target. I count six outside the cluster, which means at least 14 rounds are in the huge hole on the right of the X ring. This is with open iron sights at 100 yards.

EDIT CORRECTION: With membership, daily shooting fee is $10.00 daily
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 10:31:21 AM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Re: At The Range, 2024!!! PART 1/PART II
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2024, 09:53:32 PM »
That's some mighty rewarding shooting, Cap. Congrats on the yearly membership, too. Sounds like a good day all around.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 02:46:24 AM »
Nice story, nice shooting
Congrats Capt'n

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2024, 05:16:16 AM »
Glad you got to shoot Cap!!!. Thanks for the inspiration to get out and shoot.