Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Damage to 1860 sheriff  (Read 1605 times)

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
Damage to 1860 sheriff
« on: January 27, 2024, 04:15:24 PM »
I’ve reported on this new to me Pietta 1860 sheriff.  It’s a beautiful revolver. I noticed damage to the cylinder notches done by the bolt. There must be a lacker finish that was chipped or scratched.  If the cylinder and bolt are out of line this can only get worse.
  If any of you have an observation I’d like to hear it.

Online Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Damage to 1860 sheriff
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 05:22:44 PM »
Hand is too short and it looks like the bolt leg is also too short.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 05:16:37 AM »
 I took it apart and found the hand spring was to tight. It pushed the cylinder forward. Now the cylinder turns and fits the bolt .  The revolver shoots well.  I really like this shooter.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 05:25:54 AM by DragoonRick »

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 07:55:45 AM »
I took it apart and found the hand spring was to tight. It pushed the cylinder forward. Now the cylinder turns and fits the bolt .  The revolver shoots well.  I really like this shooter.

The hand is supposed to push the cylinder forward. The tension it imparts supplies the braking force needed to keep throw-by from happening.  You should have .003" - .004" endshake to maintain ignition reliability.  It looks like the bolt is riding too far to the rear of the notch  ( that allows throw-by as well), it should track in the middle ( slightly forward of middle is ok).

Mike

Offline Shootemup

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2024, 02:25:51 AM »

The hand is supposed to push the cylinder forward. The tension it imparts supplies the braking force needed to keep throw-by from happening.  You should have .003" - .004" endshake to maintain ignition reliability.  It looks like the bolt is riding too far to the rear of the notch  ( that allows throw-by as well), it should track in the middle ( slightly forward of middle is ok).

Mike
[/quote]

If the bolt is riding to far to the rear of the notch what would be the fix for this?

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 06:09:06 PM »

[/quote]

If the bolt is riding to far to the rear of the notch what would be the fix for this?
[/quote]

Remove material from the rear of the head of the bolt.

Mike

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2024, 08:14:00 AM »

[/quote]

Mike
[/quote]
Mike, howdy. sort of like gently sanding the rear of the bolt (Rounding it off where it contacts the cylinder) so to speak? Makes good sense.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2024, 05:46:27 AM »
[quote ]

Mike, howdy. sort of like gently sanding the rear of the bolt (Rounding it off where it contacts the cylinder) so to speak? Makes good sense.
[/quote]

Yes .  .  . well it will  take a while if done gently!! (7+"
A Dremel  flex shaft mounted in a vice with a 1/2" sanding drum will  allow quicker sanding and you can control it very easily.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2024, 06:09:13 AM »
[quote ]

Yes .  .  . well it will  take a while if done gently!! (7+"
A Dremel  flex shaft mounted in a vice with a 1/2" sanding drum will  allow quicker sanding and you can control it very easily.
[/quote]
Mike😂 thanks man.  (7+"  Let me show further ignorance. I assume you take the bolt out and place in a vise?

Offline Shootemup

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2024, 07:15:22 AM »

[/quote]

Mike
[/quote]

Thanks Dragoon
I had it in mind that there was a misalignment between the cylinder notches and the bolt hole in the frame.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2024, 07:44:40 AM »
Mike? Remove the bolt ???and place in a vise when using the dremel?