Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: True Grit-the remake  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
True Grit-the remake
« on: February 02, 2024, 10:31:26 PM »
Just finished watching the remake of "True Grit", with Jeff Bridges. Have not seen it since the theater debut.
Very well done, (although they used the same Walker and again referred to it as a "Colt's Dragoon") and a valiant effort by Bridges...maybe even more true to the Charles Portis novel than the John Wayne original.
At any rate, made for an enjoyable Friday evening. I recommend this one, even as much as I recommend the JW original.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: True Grit-the remake
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2024, 11:31:28 PM »
I haven't watched it in years but I liked it better than the JW version. It followed the book closer.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2024, 05:46:23 AM »
I have not seen the Jeff Bridges version. I'm certainly no expert but could it be the remark about the Dragoon that JW made (scripted) was possibly in reference to the Colt Walker that may have been carried by the Dragoons (Cavalry) personnel at some point in history? Not calling the gun a Dragoon but a gun the Dragoons toted at one time. Not that it really matters. After all, it was/is a novel. The writer can say what he wants (7+" thought this Fort Scott website was nice.
https://www.nps.gov/fosc/learn/education/dragoonweapons.htm#:~:text=The%20US%20Model%201842%20percussion,all%20dragoons%20and%20mounted%20riflemen.uu
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 05:55:28 AM by Zulch »

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2024, 06:57:35 AM »
I've seen both and find the Jeff Bridges version maybe a little better. Both, though, are excellent movies.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2024, 08:47:53 AM »
I've seen both film versions and the Jeff Bridges version is closer to the book, which I read years ago. The book specifically calls it a "Colt's Dragoon" and I think they just used a Walker for the films because they are more visually impressive in size, the film makers figuring most audience members wouldn't know the difference. Below is a publicity photo of Wayne holding the Walker with Kim Darby. You can see that it has been converted to shoot cartridge blanks.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2024, 09:19:26 AM »
Both are great movies.....
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Ringo

• A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    • View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2024, 10:49:09 AM »
I've seen both movies and read the booK, and enjoyed the three of them.
The Coen brothers version of the picture is quite enjoyable, but the shootout scene is definitely John Wayne's.

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2024, 02:38:26 PM »
Must be something in the water err Kool Aid we drink, Dog and I watched that not so terribly long ago, maybe mid January. I loved Bridges in that role.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 12:36:08 PM by Clydesdale4x4 »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2024, 05:00:58 PM »
Must be something in the water err Kool Aid we drink, a Dog and I watched that not so terrbily long ago, maybe mid January. I loved Bridges in that role.

He was damn good.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"