Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: pan polishing  (Read 766 times)

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
Re: pan polishing
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2024, 07:01:40 PM »
There is just something about flintlocks that really appeals to me, the primitive flash in the pan to ignite the main charge, but with the very sophisticated mechanical design of the lock itself using a "rock" (flint) to ignite it.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2024, 07:43:39 PM »
Thanks for linking my pic, Hawg! Woulda taken me half an hour to find it! (7+"

All I did was do a search for Lyman Great Plains.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2024, 05:27:28 AM »
Hawg, is this Kibbler your first flintlock? I can't remember. After all is said and done are you pleased with the rifle and outcome overall?

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2024, 07:03:04 AM »
Hawg, is this Kibbler your first flintlock? I can't remember. After all is said and done are you pleased with the rifle and outcome overall?

I had one when I was 13. It was a nice looking maple stocked Kentucky in .45 caliber but it didn't spark worth a crap. I didn't know jack about them except for what I saw on TV and probably just needed a new flint. I thought it was a POS and it turned me off of flintlocks for many, many years. I'm very pleased with it. I've been wanting one for a long time but don't like the look of the CVA's/Traditions etc and a Pedersoli was always too much. Now that it's just me my needs are few and I don't eat much and I wanted one really good flintlock before I die.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2024, 06:33:29 AM »

I had one when I was 13. It was a nice looking maple stocked Kentucky in .45 caliber but it didn't spark worth a crap. I didn't know jack about them except for what I saw on TV and probably just needed a new flint. I thought it was a POS and it turned me off of flintlocks for many, many years. I'm very pleased with it. I've been wanting one for a long time but don't like the look of the CVA's/Traditions etc and a Pedersoli was always too much. Now that it's just me my needs are few and I don't eat much and I wanted one really good flintlock before I die.

I've had other things in the past that did not do what they were supposed to? Information wasn't readily available like it is today so I understand that completely. Just glad you are happy with the rifle. Were the older CVA's any different than today's CVAs or have they stayed the same? What was it about the CVA rifles that you did not like? just curious.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2024, 07:21:43 AM »
I've had other things in the past that did not do what they were supposed to? Information wasn't readily available like it is today so I understand that completely. Just glad you are happy with the rifle. Were the older CVA's any different than today's CVAs or have they stayed the same? What was it about the CVA rifles that you did not like? just curious.

CVA never made anything. They're importers. All they import now are inlines. Traditions sells almost the same guns as CVA did.  I don't like them because they look nothing like the guns they're touted to be. I have a CVA Hawken but I've only fired it once and that's because it was loaded when I got it. For what it's worth it was loaded with Pyrodex for at least 12 years in a closet in a laundry room right next to the water heater. I capped it and it fired like it's supposed to. His powder measure was set at 90 grains and it felt like 90 grains when it went off.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2024, 10:37:41 AM »
A gun has to look the part. I agree that some of the CVA and TC guns look very little like what they are supposed to represent. I found the Lymans to be more like what my mind's eye wants to see when I think Hawken or plains rifle.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2024, 11:47:32 AM »
The Lyman is a pretty good representation of a plains rifle for a production gun. I could live with it.