Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Pan Primer  (Read 383 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Pan Primer
« on: March 17, 2024, 12:49:22 PM »
Until I can get a pan primer, if I can find one I like I made this. It's just a 300 WM case with a dowel stopper and the neck cut off of a 30-06 but it works.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
Re: Pan Primer
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 01:58:10 PM »
That should work pretty good Hawg.

I use one like this, spring loaded tip, just push down with the tip to fill the pan with powder, available from Traditions, Cabela's, etc.

My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 02:35:37 PM »
It works but it's not what I want. I'm thinking about that one but I kinda want something more traditional looking even tho they're not historically accurate until the 1800's. I like this one from October Country but I don't want to pay 47.00 for one. Especially when it's something I'm not sure I'm going to use. I guess it depends on how my crushed powder works. If it's not significantly better I'll just prime from the horn.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 05:17:38 PM »
Priming from the horn is authentic 18th Century style. They usually primed with the same 3F or 4F that they loaded down the barrel, but admittedly 4F works best. One pound of 4F black priming powder can last for almost 3,000 shots. 
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2024, 07:38:05 PM »
That’s 2.33 grains per prime.

In speaking with people and reviewing posts from all over, I learn that some guys nearly fill the pan, some half full, others a third full, still more just cover the bottom of the pan.

Pan priming tools generally dispense three grains.

I guess the right amount would be whatever works the best on any given gun.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle