Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Percussion cap maker .... my version  (Read 362 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Percussion cap maker .... my version
« on: April 07, 2024, 08:18:46 PM »
All credit goes to CC member Rick Foster (DragoonRick).   I took his idea and research and made my own version of a DIY percussion cap maker.
I made mine from brass in the same manner as Rick but adapted it to a reloading press hoping to produce caps with more speed and less effort.   I think I had a small degree of success.   
It's all pretty much explained by the pictures and captions.

I made two sizes of star mandrills,  one for 1/2 inch disk and one for 7/16 disk and a punch that mounts in a spare crimping die I removed the crimper from.   The punch is mounted to the press with a Lock-n-Load adapter.

I cut off a 45-70 case and soldered the bottom to the star mandrills so it fits in a #8 shell holder.

Punch out disks from aluminum cans or I prefer the new style aluminum beer bottles,  they are made from heavier aluminum.   I annealed the aluminum before punching out the disks.   It is necessary to anneal whatever aluminum stock you use. 
Set a disk in place..

Pull the press handle.  The cap drops out the depriming hole in the press ram.

I made two sizes when I discovered that the bigger 1/2 inch disk made the cap skirt too long to fit on some nipples on smaller guns like the .36 cal Pocket revolvers.

I tested both sizes and had moderate success,  60% with 2 German made roll caps in each cup.   Then tried 3 caps in each one with no improvement.    I'm going to order some of the "Prime-All" compound from 22 ReLoader and see how that works.   I'm not willing to crush match heads and glue stuff in place just to make a few caps.

All in All I'm not sure this DIY cap making is worth it.   I'm embarrassed that I spent the amount of time and effort I have spent on this.   I will never ever make a cap as long as I can buy them.    It's too tedious and boring for me so I am now more willing to pay higher prices for the caps I need.   
I can now rest assured that I can make my own caps if needed but I'm praying that it never comes to that.   Tomorrow I'll be ordering some RWS caps.   Powder Valley still has some in stock.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Percussion cap maker .... my version
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2024, 05:59:52 AM »
Want to add....   My hat is off to anyone who is willing to fiddle with making caps and paper cartridges and the like.    I have tried it all and would rather show up at the range with a powder flask, projectiles and ready made caps. 

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2024, 06:13:48 AM »
 I'd make them out of plastic ring caps before I'd go to the trouble of punching out aluminum ones.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2024, 06:55:37 AM »
I'd make them out of plastic ring caps before I'd go to the trouble of punching out aluminum ones.

I attempted to get the ring caps to work a year or so ago.  They just didn't set off the powder charge.   1 or two out of ten is all that worked for me.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2024, 07:26:31 AM »
I was getting 3-4 out of 6 with Pyrodex. I feel like I could have improved it but I got tired of fooling with them.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2024, 07:34:31 AM »
WOW!! Mike, that is an impressive little setup that you made there. It looks like a ready made kit that one could sell/buy if they were so inclined. Great craftsmanship and ingenuity! It does sound tedious and boring, I have to agree with you. Let's hope and pray for better days ahead.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2024, 07:52:28 AM »
Hawg,  that's exactly my problem.  I'm tired of screwing with them.  Same thing happened to me with paper cartridges.

Zulch,   I have lots of things to work with.   Tools and materials are readily available so it makes it easy for me to try things like this.  DragoonRick figured it out,  I just made a similar set up.   

By the way.... I just ordered 500 RWS 1075 caps from Powder Valley.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2024, 09:39:42 AM »
Hawg,  that's exactly my problem.  I'm tired of screwing with them.  Same thing happened to me with paper cartridges.

Yeah, me too. I sold my 63 Sharps because I wasn't using it because I got tired of making cartridges for it and they were easy to make.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2024, 10:34:44 AM »
I had a similar go with experimenting about a year ago, after Rick's thread. Shortly thereafter I bought 1000 caps from Cabelas.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2024, 10:55:33 AM »
I had a similar go with experimenting about a year ago, after Rick's thread. Shortly thereafter I bought 1000 caps from Cabelas.

I've got about that many.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2024, 12:18:19 PM »
For years I have bought one tin of caps whenever I saw them for sale.    I stopped when I had 40 packages (4000).   I realized I was down to 30 a couple weeks ago.  That's when I decided I had to learn to make my own.     
I may have panicked a little early.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2024, 04:18:07 AM »
I went through a simular deal with the Mag Spark system.
Purchased them and got my Lyman rifle set up to eccept them.
Never even fired a shot with them.
It's just something to fall back on if I ever find the day when I can't find caps.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2024, 10:59:18 AM »
Mike,  that’s really impressive very well done. It does take a while.😊😊😊😊👌👌👌
   Inspires me to look at a brass “star”.
   Thanks

I d really like these threads to pull more folks into the forum.
Rick
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 11:23:28 AM by DragoonRick »

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2024, 12:14:49 PM »
  I’m going to continue to make em. Even if they show up in stores. I guess I’m a contrarian
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 07:18:44 PM by DragoonRick »

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2024, 12:51:58 PM »
  I’m going to continue to make em. Even if they show up in stores. I guess I’m a contrarian

I am now prepared for the worst.   I have lots of powder,   I have what is necessary to make powder,  and now I could make caps if I need to.
I have no plans to make either one,  but my back up is in place. 
I received 500 RWS 1075  caps on Wednesday from Powder Valley Inc.  Very Fast shipping by the way.   

Thanks again to Rick for doing the hard work.   I would not have bothered if not for his thread.   I too hope this could bring more interest to this forum.