Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 9mm Single Action Revolvers  (Read 755 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: 9mm Single Action Revolvers
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2024, 06:42:23 AM »
Erector Sets for grown-ups.

Barbie dolls fits the clientele better. (7+"
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2024, 06:47:57 AM »
How many decades has Ruger been producing dual cylinder Blackhawks?  9mm in a single action is nothing new.
Am I running out to buy one?  No, but it might be fun, and that's all the justification many guns need.

I feel that way abut .45 ACP or 10mm in a wheel gun.
Morally wrong but if it floats your boat? I also won't own an AR on principle, stocks should be wooden. But it's become the (like a Wrangler) Barbie for men, in popularity.

I bought an AR but only because the left doesn't want me to have one. My wife liked it so much she had to have one. I sold mine but I still have hers. I do not understand the popularity of them. The .223/5.56 cartridge is about as worthless as they come. They're fun to play with now and then, kinda like a .22 LR on steroids but they serve no practical purpose. People start modding them before they even shoot them. They really are Barbie's for men. I put a scope on mine and not some LVPO or whatever the Hell it's called but a real 3-9x40 scope. My wife's has a red dot but only because she had a hard time with the scope. I better shut up before I really tick somebody off. :hurry:

Not offensive at all to me Hawg. I do not own one and could really care less about having one. Aren't a lot of the parts composed of some type of plastic?  Like Clydesdale said, stocks should be wooden.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2024, 07:22:25 AM »
The stock, pistol grip and handguard are plastic. You can get wood stocks etc for them.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2024, 05:40:46 PM »
I have a dissenting opinion on AR’s in .223/5.56 with boring black plastic stocks.  For their intended purpose I think they’re ideal.  Never modded one, never scoped one.  They’re not a sporting rifle, they are for something else.  They do have a rather sinister vibe though and those people who make a hobby (fetish) of them tend to be a worrisome crowd.  I take one for a range workout just once in about every two years but shoot black powder revolvers at least once a week.  BP is my own particular fetish and serves real well as a sublimation, too
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2024, 11:08:49 AM »
I have a dissenting opinion on AR’s in .223/5.56 with boring black plastic stocks.  For their intended purpose I think they’re ideal.  Never modded one, never scoped one.  They’re not a sporting rifle, they are for something else.  They do have a rather sinister vibe though and those people who make a hobby (fetish) of them tend to be a worrisome crowd.  I take one for a range workout just once in about every two years but shoot black powder revolvers at least once a week.  BP is my own particular fetish and serves real well as a sublimation, too

The irony is, it's one of my closest friend's favorite close-range (brushy where he hunts) deer rifle, but I prefer his FAL more than any of his hundred-plus guns.

Back to the 9mm in a wheel gun, I subscribed deeply to the 80's era Massaad (sic) Ayoob hatred of a 9mm, then when (ironically the one mentioned above) my friend turned my wife onto a 9mm, for EDC versus the .40 she had, or the .45ACP/10mm I wanted her to move too,  did deep dives into ballistic charts. It's a pretty solid round, these days. And would make for a fun little plinker,  reckon.

still think it's wrong, on a morally correct basis, lol.

Offline WECSOG

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2024, 11:15:08 AM »
Here's my take on it: I much prefer .38 Special, .357 Mag, .45 Colt, .44 Special and Mag. But, I have a three screw .357 Blackhawk with an additional cylinder for 9mm. I can load it with a home-cast 125 grain flat nose bullet using homemade bullet lube and a small amount of shotgun powder. I generally load it to a very useful power level, in the range of 800-1000 fps. And the brass is free. It is not uncommon for me to pick up 9mm brass until I am tired of picking it up, when I stop at a shooting area during a motorcycle ride. I have a decent amount of .38 brass, but using the 9mm brass allows me to conserve my .38 brass for my better loads.

As for ARs, I like them. I also like lever actions, bolt actions and single shots. Front stuffers too. One does not preclude the other. I am a tinkerer, and the AR is a tinkerer's dream. As for 5.56/.223, I completely disagree about it being a worthless round. I like the .222 round more, but it lacks one quality the 5.56 has: free brass. See above comments about 9mm. I cast bullets for it, too. A 55 grain cast bullet conserves my lead supply, and pretty much any powder I have can give me a useful power level especially if I manually cycle the action (which also makes it easier to save my brass). From standard velocity/subsonic .22 LR power to .22 Magnum and beyond. That, to me, is a more useful power level than full power .30-06, for example.
And then there is .300 Blackout. You can make brass by cutting down some of that free 5.56 brass. I think of it as .32-20 for ARs, but with free brass. 

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2024, 11:33:29 AM »
As for 5.56/.223, I completely disagree about it being a worthless round.

You can't deer hunt with it. Well you can in some states but it's certainly not a good cartridge to use. You can't squirrel hunt with it. Well I guess you can if you like scrambled squirrel.  (7+" It's not a good home defense round. So what's it really good for other than a range toy?

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2024, 12:31:42 PM »
If you live out West here you see thousands of coyotes dispatched every year with .223 AR style rifles.   Most ranchers have one as their truck gun.    Badgers, prairie dogs porcupines and thousands of feral hogs are also taken with AR rifles in .223.   
Ruger has sold millions of Mini 14 and Ranch rifles in .223 caliber.    There may be better choices but .223/5.56 has proven to be a popular varmint cartridge and not just a range toy.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2024, 02:01:32 PM »
Coyotes are pretty timid down here. No badgers, porcupines or prairie dogs. I used a 30-06 for hogs. Nothing but a range toy for me. My opinion is mine, nothing more.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2024, 04:39:41 PM »
Coyotes are pretty timid down here. No badgers, porcupines or prairie dogs. I used a 30-06 for hogs. Nothing but a range toy for me. My opinion is mine, nothing more.

I don't think it .223 is a great cartridge either but the rifles and the ammo are inexpensive so the popularity will continue until the ammo or the rifles are unobtainable.    I have a .243 that I prefer anyway.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2024, 06:50:02 PM »
I imagine a lot of people are like me. I just bought one because the left doesn't want me to have one.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2024, 09:08:32 PM »
I've got a Colt CAR-A3 HBAR Elite with a 20" heavy barrel. It's a great shooter. I can bang the 8" gong every time at 300 yards. Just lots of fun for a plinker. It has taken more than a few jackrabbits. I won it in a NRA raffle, don't think I'd have ever gone out and bought one. But.....I have found a use for it.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2024, 06:03:51 AM »
I imagine a lot of people are like me. I just bought one because the left doesn't want me to have one.

This is true.    I obtained mine when a liberal leaning town near here banned anything with a handgrip and 10+ round magazine.

Offline WECSOG

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2024, 11:02:14 PM »
You can absolutely deer hunt with it, where .22 centerfires are legal for hunting deer. Around here, lots of deer have been killed with them. Also varmint hunting, as mentioned by others. To include feral hogs. In fact there have probably been more hogs killed with ARs in 5.56 than any other arm in Texas, Mississippi and Georgia.
I even have a .223 bolt action. It's a round that can get it done, if you do your part. And it's a lot cheaper to reload than .30-06.
Don't get me wrong; .30-06 is one of my favorite cartridges. But I'm a firm believer that it's not the gun that counts; it's the man behind the gun.

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2024, 11:51:24 PM »
You can absolutely deer hunt with it, where .22 centerfires are legal for hunting deer. Around here, lots of deer have been killed with them. Also varmint hunting, as mentioned by others. To include feral hogs. In fact there have probably been more hogs killed with ARs in 5.56 than any other arm in Texas, Mississippi and Georgia.
I even have a .223 bolt action. It's a round that can get it done, if you do your part. And it's a lot cheaper to reload than .30-06.
Don't get me wrong; .30-06 is one of my favorite cartridges. But I'm a firm believer that it's not the gun that counts; it's the man behind the gun.

Buddy of mine harvested his garden, with some sort of high dollar .22 Bolt. Perfect bedroom window shot, and keeping it inside the house, none the wiser were anyone. But strangely enough, he had the only garden non-molested by whitetails. He could fill a quarter at 100 yards, so he eye shot them.