Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Series 80  (Read 16336 times)

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
Series 80
« on: February 22, 2014, 04:12:26 AM »
As much as I enjoy the 45 ACP cartridge, in a revolver, I have never gotten the same warm and fuzzy feeling from the 1911 platform.  Tried several times and each time sold the pistol after a few months.  First was a Para, then a Kimber, then some other clone. 

Well, I finally fell into a deal on a Colt and got this one.

If the weather ever co-operates, I will see if I can develop an affection for it.
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Series 80
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 04:32:09 AM »
I love 1911's but I'm not fond of the series 80. If I had one I would retrofit it back to a 70 series.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 06:19:40 AM »
Hi Strawhat, I think you will enjoy your new Colt. I really like my Series-80 Colt. Since the trigger safety hasn't interfered with operation, I think it is an improvement over the Series-70 as it relates to safety. My Series-80 Colt with laser grips:

The only thing besides shooting my Series-80 many thousands of times was to bob the hammer a little to eliminate hammer bite. I carry the Series-80 around on my property using a Tanker holster, and carry on the street with the Crossbreed holster.

A couple of other 1911 toys I sometimes carry:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 04:52:19 AM »
It is my intention to eventually carry this piece, if I can develop a fondness for it.  As I get older, I am beginning to resmble my revolvers, slightly round in the middle.  This makes carrying my beloved N frame a bit harder, hence my renewed interest in the self loader.  Either that or I need to loose 20 pounds and until the spring thaw, I don't see that happening.  Of course, I won't be comfrtable with a 1911 in that short period of time either so N frame it is! 

Time will tell, my brother seems to like the 1911 platform and is willing to help me along.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 06:02:48 AM »
i am another guy that somehow never really fell in love with the 1911, or any other semi auto for that matter.
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 06:17:49 AM »
It is my intention to eventually carry this piece, if I can develop a fondness for it.  As I get older, I am beginning to resmble my revolvers, slightly round in the middle.  This makes carrying my beloved N frame a bit harder, hence my renewed interest in the self loader.  Either that or I need to loose 20 pounds and until the spring thaw, I don't see that happening.  Of course, I won't be comfrtable with a 1911 in that short period of time either so N frame it is! 

Time will tell, my brother seems to like the 1911 platform and is willing to help me along.

Hi StrawHat, there can be issues for those that carry the 1911 for self defense. They may and do malfunction, stovepipes and fail to feed issues. If you are going to carry the 1911, go through malfunction drills until you can do them automatically. While I sometimes carry my 1911s for defense, I mostly carry an 11oz S&W AirWeight (337) loaded with 38 Special P+. I carry it in a front pocket of my jeans and nobody is the wiser. If a firearm isn't convenient to carry, you won't carry it. While I like the 1911 for defense, I like revolvers even more. A revolver goes bang every time you pull the trigger. My .38 also sports laser sights. Weak hand, or any position, I can nail a target in an instant. When I go into more dangerous areas, I like my snub .45LC, see:
http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=229&category=Revolver&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=
It also has laser grips.

BTW, before you even think about using your Series-80 for defense, put at least 200 rounds through it to convince yourself of its reliability for defense. There is a big difference shooting hardball and hollowpoint ammo in a 1911 as it relates to reliability. If it chokes on hardball, it will certainly choke on hollowpoint.

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 07:09:30 AM »
There is a big difference shooting hardball and hollowpoint ammo in a 1911 as it relates to reliability. If it chokes on hardball, it will certainly choke on hollowpoint.

Regards,
Richard

This is true. I've had a couple of Colt's and both of them needed work to reliably feed hollow points or cast. I bought a Rock Island figuring it would be a project gun but the thing is flawless. It has fed everything without one single jam right out of the box. It will even feed empty cases. )k*
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 05:56:54 PM »
Hawg, that gun is made RIGHT! Here is my Mk IV in 40 S&W

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 04:55:54 AM »
Hawg, that gun is made RIGHT! Here is my Mk IV in 40 S&W

I like the bluing on the slide. If you stick a guitar pick under the slide stop when you're installing it you wont scratch the frame. Mine ain't the prettiest girl at the dance but she will rock your socks off.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 05:21:54 AM »
Carrying will be down the road, if ever.  For now, the N frame is still my American Express revolver.  And the 1911 will need to work with the 452423 cast bullet.  It is what I load in the 45 ACP case for the revolver. 

I agree about the 200+ round test and malfunction drills.  The drills will happen as I work up a good reload recipe.  Inevitably, I will get some poor recipes and they will fail to feed.  I save some of those and mix them in with the good loads.  Been doing that for a while with my brother.  He is pretty good at clearing a fail and getting things back to rolling. 

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 07:24:48 AM »
That's a good bullet. I used a 255 grain Keith for my last 1911 that got stolen. Then like a dummy I sold the mold. I use a Lee 230 grain SWC with 5.1 grains of W 231 with this one.

Offline Kaboom

• Too many hobbies, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 09:01:33 AM »
I use a Lyman 200 grain SWC in my 45ACP, and it seems to function fine for me. Very seldom do I have any function problems at all, and then usually just a stove pipe from shooting target loading (low speed fun shooting). Full power never seem to fail at all.
Black powder smoke is my Aromatherapy.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 11:47:25 AM »
Hawg, you have sharp eyes! Actually that frame scratch isn't as bad as it looks in the photo. And thanks for that tip about using a guitar pick, I'll definitely use it. Guns don't have to be real pretty, sounds like you have a good one. I have a 70 in 45 ACP that was a "built" gun, got it for a very good price. It shoots ammo reliably, but haven't tried empties in it.....yet! (jh

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 12:26:51 PM »
Hawg, you have sharp eyes! Actually that frame scratch isn't as bad as it looks in the photo. And thanks for that tip about using a guitar pick, I'll definitely use it. Guns don't have to be real pretty, sounds like you have a good one. I have a 70 in 45 ACP that was a "built" gun, got it for a very good price. It shoots ammo reliably, but haven't tried empties in it.....yet! (jh

Hi mazo, guns are to be used. Marks from assembly/dis-assembly are marks of use, a good thing. Fu*k the guitar pick, mark up that 1911 and show it's been used.  The more use marks on an 1911, the better!!

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 12:29:28 PM by ssb73q »

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 03:47:20 PM »
Mine has a little bit of an idiot scratch but its not thru the parkerizing. This is the best one I ever had, even better than the one I have now. Its an old West Hurley Auto Ordnance but the only original parts left are the frame and slide. Unfortunately it was stolen a few years ago.