Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Classic cleaning solution  (Read 4782 times)

Offline Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
    • View Profile
Classic cleaning solution
« on: February 27, 2014, 12:59:52 PM »
Here's what I use straight from Mike himself, make sure you get the right windex.

"Maven: I just dump a jug of "Windex With Vinegar" into a gallon milk jug and then fill the remaining space with water. Such a jug should last for a couple of years even with a very avid shooter/competitor. (Like me.)

As for muzzle loaders, yes that solution works fine too. I cover the nipple with a patch and put the hammer down on it. Then I fill the barrel with the solution and let it set for a couple of minutes. Then I upend the rifle and let the fouled solution run out on the ground. After that a couple of patches should clean up everything else.

That certain variety of Windex is hard to find, so when I do come across it I tend to stock up. I've probably got a lifetime's worth stored away now considering I'm 60.

Good luck to you. I've been absent here for several months. Work projects and the silhouette shooting season have kept me busy.
Mike V.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
Re: Classic cleaning solution
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 04:35:13 AM »
Water is still my first choice.  The window cleaners work but can remove barrel finishes.  If water is too basic for some, a squirt of dish soap helps make it foamy.
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 05:15:11 AM »
Here's what I use straight from Mike himself, make sure you get the right windex.

"Maven: I just dump a jug of "Windex With Vinegar" into a gallon milk jug and then fill the remaining space with water. Such a jug should last for a couple of years even with a very avid shooter/competitor. (Like me.)

As for muzzle loaders, yes that solution works fine too. I cover the nipple with a patch and put the hammer down on it. Then I fill the barrel with the solution and let it set for a couple of minutes. Then I upend the rifle and let the fouled solution run out on the ground. After that a couple of patches should clean up everything else.

That certain variety of Windex is hard to find, so when I do come across it I tend to stock up. I've probably got a lifetime's worth stored away now considering I'm 60.

Good luck to you. I've been absent here for several months. Work projects and the silhouette shooting season have kept me busy.
Mike V.

Hi Tom, if I have been reading reports correctly, vinegar (acetic acid) removes bluing.  (jh  I would avoid any cleaning product that contains vinegar.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 10:56:23 AM »
Richard you are right it does but notice how much it is diluted again he doesn't use it straight out of the bottle, very important to note this.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 08:12:00 PM »
Richard you are right it does but notice how much it is diluted again he doesn't use it straight out of the bottle, very important to note this.

Hi Tom, the chemical activity is the same for either dilute or concentrated acetic acid. It will remove bluing. Slowly when diluted, but it still removes bluing. It should, in any concentration, be avoided if bluing retention is important to the owner.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 09:29:49 AM »
I use it and have for years, but I don't soak my stuff in it, I haven't had any problems but good to note for those that might.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 09:38:45 AM »
I read that same article, got a jug of that Windex but never got a chance to use it. My wife confiscated it! (jh *6'