Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Interesting new Pietta 1851  (Read 11107 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting new Pietta 1851
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 08:16:20 AM »
Richard, I do like that one! Especially the blued backstrap and trigger guard! My only complain (visually) is that there should probably be more of a drop in the hammer spur (or bob it) to make for better concealability, but who's complaining? Not me!
Are you going to use it as a conversion or swap in-between?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 08:18:07 AM »
By the way, moved this to Navy models
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2014, 08:36:45 AM »
Richard, I do like that one! Especially the blued backstrap and trigger guard! My only complain (visually) is that there should probably be more of a drop in the hammer spur (or bob it) to make for better concealability, but who's complaining? Not me!
Are you going to use it as a conversion or swap in-between?

Hi Captain, thanks for moving the thread to the Navy models. I realized that I screwed up in my original post putting that message in the Army section. However, not being a .36 caliber, it is neither fish nor fowl. I have conversion cylinders for all my BP revolvers so I can shoot them with the lazy modern firearm cleanup after shooting. Having the ability to do either cap and ball or conversion cylinders give me the best of both worlds.

While the birdhead grip does make the 1851 look smaller, it's still almost the same size as a short barrel standard 1851. There is still a lot of heft with this revolver, you know you have a handful. I agree about the hammer, but since it is a single action, the standard sized hammer allows for positive cocking. I actually like a brass backstrap in that I can thumb the brass backstrap revolver and not need to wipe down the revolver after handling. The steel backstrap requires a wipe down after playing with it. I have company coming over today, but I should have some time tomorrow to test fire this revolver and chronograph the loading.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 08:38:20 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 12:34:37 AM »
yup, it is a handful of gun, but i like having all that firepower in such a convenient little package. _;P
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"