Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Dance Revolvers  (Read 18809 times)

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Re: Dance Revolvers
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 09:35:05 AM »
I'd have the colors removed & blue the frame then have the whole revolver aged a bit to show a few years hard use.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 10:19:31 AM »
sounds good to me
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 02:41:18 PM »
SINCE MAY of 2014, this has laid dormant in the time chamber.
It is brought forward in order to allow me to partake of this piece of Confederate
history...........in todays light.
Please add at will. L@J
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 04:39:44 PM »
Here are some pictures:

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 11:04:54 AM »
Scooby, I have read some of your comments as well as others, that gave me
confidence to buy it. Of course Fingers has a pretty good reputation. L@. so bought it from
him.
Hewy

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 01:44:01 PM »
If anyone wants to spend $795, Lodgewood has a custom Dance replica in .36 cal:

http://www.lodgewood.com/Custom-First-Model-Dance-Bros-Navy-Revolver_p_2794.html
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 04:59:35 PM »
No thanks.  If I want one in .36, I'll modify a Leech and Rigdon
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 08:29:05 PM by Fingers McGee »

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 07:38:29 PM »
I hear you Fingers.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Rcampb6131

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2017, 08:01:44 AM »
Picture of my Dance.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2017, 10:40:54 AM »
Do the repro Dances actually have a larger Dragoon-sized frame, or is it built on a 1851 frame?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Rcampb6131

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2017, 11:20:08 AM »
In comparing the Dance with one of my Pietta 1851's, the frames are the same with two exceptions.  First, of course, is the lack of a recoil shield, and second, the water table is milled slightly deeper to accommodate the larger Dance cylinder.  Otherwise they are the same.

The Pietta Dance is not historically correct, however, as the originals had a frame the size of the Colt Dragoon.  The cylinder was shorter than the Dragoon, being the same length as the Colt 1860 Army, which made the Dance slightly lighter than the Dragoon.

RC

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2017, 01:16:39 PM »
In comparing the Dance with one of my Pietta 1851's, the frames are the same with two exceptions.  First, of course, is the lack of a recoil shield, and second, the water table is milled slightly deeper to accommodate the larger Dance cylinder.  Otherwise they are the same.

The Pietta Dance is not historically correct, however, as the originals had a frame the size of the Colt Dragoon.  The cylinder was shorter than the Dragoon, being the same length as the Colt 1860 Army, which made the Dance slightly lighter than the Dragoon.

RC

RC,

You have been so much help to me in my quest for a Pietta Dance .36 on a Navy frame, and you have given much info as far as the differences between your Pietta Dance .44 and the Pietta 1851 Navy .36 that I have stopped in my journey to acquire a factory one that is mix-and-match with my other Pietta Navy type .36 pistols. My only choice, as I see it, is to buy a Pietta 1851 Navy .36 steel, mill off the recoil shields, color-case the new areas (or full frame), and install the G&G part round/part octagon .36 barrel.

Please, sir, you need to post the pictures here that you have of the Pietta Dance .44 cylinder vs. the Pietta .36 Navy cylinder. I looked for the link you posted earlier about this on other forums but cannot find it. The view of the front of the two cylinders says it all.

Thanks in advance!

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2017, 01:19:51 PM »
In Pietta parts bin,there only seems to be one grip frame,and most that I have seen I could
be wrong have the shoulder stock mounting notch at the bottom of grip frame at least on brass.
But thats Pietta :(
Hewy

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2017, 02:08:33 PM »
No thanks.  If I want one in .36, I'll modify a Leech and Rigdon

Hawg, that's fine if you want an Uberti. Pietta does not market a L&R so I will have to go with my premise. I have a master machinist with a full 3-phase power shop next-door to me so it is just a 100 yard walk for the milling operation.

If anyone wants to spend $795, Lodgewood has a custom Dance replica in .36 cal:

http://www.lodgewood.com/Custom-First-Model-Dance-Bros-Navy-Revolver_p_2794.html

I looked at that link to that pistol and I must say that is a very nice repro, even though it was created from a Colt 1851 Navy .36 and seems to be from a Colt 1851 Navy Late Third Model with the small round TG and the long trigger.

And that is why I have a problem with defarbed pistols. In 20-30 years, many newcomers to this hobby will not have access to our current-era posts about this pistol (and other creations we have concocted). And others who, like me, mix and match replica parts for variations (but I do not defarb), it just might slide by as an actual J. H. Dance & Bros pistol, with serial numbers within historical realms and not the same as any Dance revolver so far extant.

IMO, that is wrong unless the creator of such a fine piece marks it in some way as to discern it from an original.

I am off of my soapbox here.

G'Day!

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Ringo

• A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    • View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2017, 02:43:51 PM »
(...) My only choice, as I see it, is to buy a Pietta 1851 Navy .36 steel, mill off the recoil shields, color-case the new areas (or full frame), and install the G&G part round/part octagon .36 barrel. (...)
If you go that way, Jim, do not bother to color case the frame. From all the pictures I have seen of original Dance revolvers, it seems quite obvious that the frames were blued, just like the other iron parts.