Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Dance Revolvers  (Read 18801 times)

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
Re: Dance Revolvers
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2017, 02:46:02 PM »
In Pietta parts bin,there only seems to be one grip frame,and most that I have seen I could
be wrong have the shoulder stock mounting notch at the bottom of grip frame at least on brass.
But thats Pietta :(

Just to reiterate (ad nauseum for you frequent folks), Pietta changed the 1851 Navy Type grip profile beginning with date code [CN] 2015 to include all models (1851 Navy and G&G). Prior to that, ending in [CM] 2014, the grip profile was of the "tail" variety.

The Pietta 2014 gripstrap, trigger guard, and wood parts are not interchangeable "individually" with the Pietta 2015 (or newer) gripstrap, trigger guard, and wood parts. As a 3-piece unit they can be fitted easily to any Pietta 1851 Navy .36 built after ~2000.

Yes, almost all of the latest Piettas have that bottom gripstrap divot on both the brassers and the steel models. I managed to acquire a gripstrap without the divot (through no fault of my own) from VTI (you might contact VTI or Taylor's for inquiries about Pietta parts) who sold it as an 1860 backstrap when I was venturing into putting an 1860 gripframe on an 1851. I have given up that quest for now.

However, the divotless backstrap now resides on my G&G.

As an aside, I have always admired the 1851 squareback TG. I ordered one from Taylor's 3 years ago, for the 2014 1851 Navy .36. It took about 3 months to have the order clear customs, et al. It fit perfectly on the 2014 "tail" pistol. I don't think Pietta is offering any 1851 Navy Squareback pistols these days.

If you want one you might want to check Dixie Gun Works. It will most likely be a pre-2015 model, but those will start to be collectible in repro circles since Pietta is not producing them anymore.
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2017, 03:07:07 PM »
(...) My only choice, as I see it, is to buy a Pietta 1851 Navy .36 steel, mill off the recoil shields, color-case the new areas (or full frame), and install the G&G part round/part octagon .36 barrel. (...)
If you go that way, Jim, do not bother to color case the frame. From all the pictures I have seen of original Dance revolvers, it seems quite obvious that the frames were blued, just like the other iron parts.

Ah, Ringo my friend!

I was not aware of that. I guess I have to do more study with my books. Thank you for the head's up on that!

I hope you had a good dinner using hard-crust French bread tonight! I love it with butter and lots of garlic!

Good to hear from you, sir.

Jim

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2017, 03:17:42 PM »
Since the pictures were taken, I have replaced the incorrect square back trigger guard with a round one so it would be more historically correct.

So where is the TG? I want it! Let me know what you want for it. Ain't too many produced these days, as you know. I am collecting them.

Jim

Offline Ringo

• A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    • View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2017, 03:19:09 PM »
(...) I hope you had a good dinner using hard-crust French bread tonight! I love it with butter and lots of garlic! (...)
We always have ead on the table for each meal, whether baguette or round loaf. There is nothing that can top a good slice of bread and butter (especially slightly-salted butter). Whenever you come to France, I'll be glad to treat you to as much as you like.

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2017, 03:46:16 PM »
Well, Ringo, I doubt I will ever make it to France, but we love French cuisine. I am searching for any good French recipe that you might forward on a PM as this is off topic.

You folks just eat some fantastic bread, and think of me, who has no bread like yours. We have only poor imitations!

Jim

Offline Rcampb6131

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2017, 10:42:41 AM »
Jim, here is that picture of the Dance cylinder and the G & G cylinder.

Offline Ringo

• A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    • View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2017, 12:29:36 PM »
(...) My only choice, as I see it, is to buy a Pietta 1851 Navy .36 steel, mill off the recoil shields, color-case the new areas (or full frame), and install the G&G part round/part octagon .36 barrel. (...)
If you go that way, Jim, do not bother to color case the frame. From all the pictures I have seen of original Dance revolvers, it seems quite obvious that the frames were blued, just like the other iron parts.

If you look at the pic that I posted, you will notice that I did in fact remove the case coloring and blued the frame.
and right you were !