Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Are Colt replicas less popular than other replicas?  (Read 18106 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Are Colt replicas less popular than other replicas?
« on: June 04, 2014, 08:39:09 PM »
We being Colt lovers & all......just wondering: Are the Colt replicas less popular to the new BP shooter than other replicas, such as Remington, etc? I'd love to know what sales figures are for the big movers like Cabelas and Bass Pro.
I know there are you hardcore Colt guys like Fingers, Hawg, Scooby and Straw Hat who probably have little use for anything other than a Colt repro. But just wondering what the Newbie paging through his Cabelas catalog lusts after first.....and why?
Opinions?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
Re: Are Colt replicas less popular than other replicas?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 09:05:40 PM »
I own two Remingtons, and a half dozen Colts, plus some Colt clones, or Colt inspired Single Actions.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 02:25:04 AM »
I pretty much agree with Scoob. I prefer Colt's but have more Remingtons. I always go for the cheap chit. *6'
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 04:51:14 AM »
... But just wondering what the Newbie paging through his Cabelas catalog lusts after first.....and why?
Opinions?...

I own Colt replicas.  I have tried the various others and find them not to my tastes although, the 36 Remington on the smaller frame has some potential.

What I find, is the Newbies going through the catalogs are looking at what they think is "cool" and price.  The LeMat is cool until they see the price.  The Colt is okay but that thing with all the brass is cheaper!  Of course why it is cheaper is never considered. I advise anyone contemplating a purchase (guns, tools, cars, whatever) to buy the best you can afford to spend.  It pays in the long run. 

Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 04:55:04 AM »
Hi Captain, many years ago when I first purchased 18XX vintage replicas, my first choice were the Colts. There isn't a more beautiful revolver ever made than the Colts. Right or wrong, the Army's adoption of the 1860 Colt will always have it the preferred revolver. For practical shooting, the Remington 1858 is exceptional. Having said that, I have 5 1858 Remingtons and 6 Colt revolvers all purchased in the last few years.

IMO a serious replica cap and ball revolver shooter will own both.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 05:07:20 AM »
I'm betting that there are more Colt repros sold that Remingtons just because there is a bigger variety to choose from.  If I were advising someone new to BP revolvers I'd tell them to start with a Remington.  It will make their first experience more enjoyable. 
That said I have 4 Remingtons and Seven Colt repros.

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 07:10:07 AM »
Don't have anything other than colt clones but then my collection is fairly small I have eight 51's, five 62/65's, and a Walker all in 36 caliber
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Sparky

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 07:23:53 AM »
Don't have anything other than colt clones but then my collection is fairly small I have eight 51's, five 62/65's, and a Walker all in 36 caliber

You have a Walker in .36 cal.???  (jh

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 09:44:37 AM »
... But just wondering what the Newbie paging through his Cabelas catalog lusts after first.....and why?
Opinions?...

I own Colt replicas.  I have tried the various others and find them not to my tastes although, the 36 Remington on the smaller frame has some potential.

What I find, is the Newbies going through the catalogs are looking at what they think is "cool" and price.  The LeMat is cool until they see the price.  The Colt is okay but that thing with all the brass is cheaper!  Of course why it is cheaper is never considered. I advise anyone contemplating a purchase (guns, tools, cars, whatever) to buy the best you can afford to spend.  It pays in the long run.

I'm with Strawhat on this.  I have some of most all the models/manufacturers' replicas.  Colts, G&Gs, L&Rs, Whitneys, Spiller & Burs, Rogers & Spencer, S&Gs, Remingtons; and have had LeMats & Stars in the past.  My collection consists predominantly of Colt's though.  In shooting the other makes, I've found that they are not easy or comfortable to shoot.  Grip angles that are odd; grips that are too big or too small; hammer spurs out of reach of my thumb; clunky actions all lead me back to the Colt's.  They fit my hand and are natural point shooters.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 01:10:35 PM »
Yes I had the barrel and cylinder sleeved down to 36 massive cylinder in that caliber

Just got the trigger spring it needed and gonna shoot it soon

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 04:07:11 PM »
Yes I had the barrel and cylinder sleeved down to 36 massive cylinder in that caliber

I gotta ask. Why?

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 07:54:34 PM »
5 Remmies and 8 Colts here. The Remmies are easy to learn how to shoot and I agree the new shooters may want to go there first. I also haft to agree once you get holt of a Colt nothen quit like it, beautiful revolvers. Believe if you get good with a Colt you should be able to shoot just about any handgun. L@.

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 02:09:39 AM »
The Walker cylinders almost 1" longer than the a 1851 so that's 1" more powder. Even with the 9" barrel I expect some of to come out the end unbuned but I expect to get 50+ grains of powder in there

Why? Why not?

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 07:29:04 AM »
Have two L&R's also which are also Colt types I class them with the 1851's so I guess ten not eight

Four of them are conversions six percussion

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 11:44:45 PM »
Opinions?...

I agree in part.  I however always go the cheap route, lol!  My first gun was a steel framed Pietta 1860, a nice gun by all regards, but I didn't really catch the bug until i got a brasser 51 sherrif in .44 from Cabelas.  That's the gun that really inspired me.  So, spending all out to get a new Colt series or high end Uberti from Cimmaron or whatnot is not something that I really think is that wise, especially for a new shooter who doesn't yet know if this is going to be something he really wants to get into.  If you have the money, sure it would be great! 
Most of the guys I know from the bp world, they are more likely to be blue collar types.  i.e., we ain't too likely to spend $800 bucks on a pistol.  *6'
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"