Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: #11 Replacement Nipples  (Read 6582 times)

Offline dc7x64

• View Profile
#11 Replacement Nipples
« on: October 10, 2014, 08:24:28 PM »
I, like many people, have a serious problem of finding #10 Rem. percussion caps. Sure I could just order a million and pay the haz-mat fee, but I like the fact that I can just buy a couple hundred at the local shooting supply? My local stores only carry CCI and my 300+ #10's don't fit sh-t! What do the experts think about converting my pistols to stainless #11 nipples from TOW? I already did this with my Walker, how about my '51 and '61 Navy's? What's the deal? Thanks- Dave.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: #11 Replacement Nipples
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 08:31:49 PM »
If you had a ready supply of #11's you could do that. But it ain't gonna be cheap. (I guess you know that). The Treso nipples, being stainless, should last you about forever. And if you keep the originals, should you ever decide to sell the gun(s) you have the Tresos to put in your next gun. Your call.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline hiker.wild

• just do it !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 08:34:27 PM »
fieldlines.com

Offline dc7x64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 08:49:40 PM »
I installed Slix-Shot nipples on my '51 Navy, but they are too long and don't facilitate installing the caps with the cylinder in the pistol. They too would probably work fine with Rem. caps.  I have to pinch #11's and load with the cylinder out of the gun :'(. They are really reliable though with no jams or cap sucking.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 08:54:14 PM »
If you had a ready supply of #11's you could do that. But it ain't gonna be cheap. (I guess you know that). The Treso nipples, being stainless, should last you about forever. And if you keep the originals, should you ever decide to sell the gun(s) you have the Tresos to put in your next gun. Your call.

Cpt.  Treso's are Ampco alloy, not SS.  CCI or Remington 11s will fit better than CCI 10's  The CCIs are the smallest caps available and IME don't fit much.

This thread should help confuse you:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,35696.0.html
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 09:00:01 PM by Fingers McGee »
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline dc7x64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 09:14:11 PM »
Would I be wrong in my assumption that the Italians probably use RWS caps as the base for sizing their nipples? Almost exactly like Rem. # 10's!

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 10:09:42 AM »
Would I be wrong in my assumption that the Italians probably use RWS caps as the base for sizing their nipples? Almost exactly like Rem. # 10's!

The replica percussion revolvers were based on an 1851 Navy made from Civil War surplus parts IIRC.  Val Forget, William B Edwards, and an Italian Businessman (Gregorelli?) started the industry (Navy Arms) in 1957 with first replicas hitting the market in 1958. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 04:57:43 PM by Fingers McGee »
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline dc7x64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 12:07:02 PM »
Great info Fingers! Thanks! L@.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 07:48:32 PM »
Cpt.  Treso's are Ampco alloy, not SS. 

I knew that. Why it escaped me at that moment is beyond me... ???
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 09:37:47 AM »
Cpt.  Treso's are Ampco alloy, not SS. 

I knew that. Why it escaped me at that moment is beyond me... ???

Case of CRS?