Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Trying to ID maker of 1860 Army ???  (Read 5823 times)

oldshotgun

Trying to ID maker of 1860 Army ???
« on: December 08, 2014, 04:44:15 PM »
HI I've been trying to identify the maker of this Colt Army 1860 and the year it was made It has no manafacture marks or model numbers and is also missing the "use black powder only" inscription there is no signs of it been scrubbed either
The only markings it has are period English proof marks(2types) one  on the outside of each chamber in the cylinder and together on part of the frame
The  barrel address reads "-ADDRESS.COL:COLT.LONDON-"   frame reads "Colt Patent" & cylinder reads "Colt Pat 166 " the last three digits of the seial number also all parts are number matching
Any help to Identify a maker a year would be appreciated also any pictures of other by the same maker would be great so I can make comparisons click on images to enlarge

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 04:50:26 PM by oldshotgun »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to ID maker of 1860 Army ???
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 08:24:18 PM »
Fingers...calling Fingers McGee!
BTW...welcome to our little slice of pizza heaven!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 08:53:45 PM »
Fingers...calling Fingers McGee!
BTW...welcome to our little slice of pizza heaven!

Just what I was thinking.   If anyone has an idea Fingers will.   Strawhat is pretty well versed in the lesser known models and makers too.

That's a nice looking 1860 there with a full case of accessories.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 09:46:49 PM »
You Rang???????

HI I've been trying to identify the maker of this Colt Army 1860 and the year it was made It has no manafacture marks or model numbers and is also missing the "use black powder only" inscription there is no signs of it been scrubbed either
The only markings it has are period English proof marks(2types) one  on the outside of each chamber in the cylinder and together on part of the frame
The  barrel address reads "-ADDRESS.COL:COLT.LONDON-"   frame reads "Colt Patent" & cylinder reads "Colt Pat 166 " the last three digits of the seial number also all parts are number matching
Any help to Identify a maker a year would be appreciated also any pictures of other by the same maker would be great so I can make comparisons click on images to enlarge

It looks to be a Pietta that someone has tried to fake as an original. 
Font in the Colt's patent on the frame is bigger than what was used in the day and positioned wrong. 
Frame engraving looks like laser engraving done on Pietta Marshal Model 1851s
Engraving on the frame is not the same as the barrel or cylinder, but looks to be photo engraved just the same.
Can't read the serial numbers or see where they are, so I can't tell if they are the same or not, or in the right place.
Depending on SN, barrel address may not be correct
Cylinder says Colt's Pat No.  Real Colt's say Colts Patent No. 
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

oldshotgun

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 11:07:59 PM »
Thanks for the reply serial number is 7166 is there anyway of getting a manafacture year?I was told it was bouht in 1972 by the owner out of curiosity how would they have been able to reproduce the proof marks ? The only repro proof marks I've seen like this are bigger and have different crowns also the serial number is stamped in an old style text I read on a forum this is also hard to do after a certain date

heres a close up of the pattern the lack of blueing or paint ?due to wear  in pattern recesses & they way the pattern progresses irregulary makes it look different if you look near the should stock screw on tbe frame you see the same pattern repeated near the screw & barrel wegde  and tbe cylinder pattern is an enlarge version again which progresses again from small to large near the front sight  its much easier to see with the gun in hand than with pictures Also here's pictures of the bore and cylinder do these  look like Pietta aswell?

« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 12:43:13 AM by oldshotgun »

oldshotgun

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 12:02:14 AM »
I also found a Pietta serial number & date page theres nothing that covers the 7166 serial number range that I could find & another question is this area above the loaing rod typical of Pietta?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 01:32:23 AM by oldshotgun »

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 02:51:50 AM »
Colt used left handed gain twist rifling in the barrels, so I suspect it is not original.  As for the markings, hard to tell if not in my hand.  The marking on the cylinder is the one that jumps out to me as not being kosher. 

And welcome to the forum.
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com