Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Cap Sucking Colts  (Read 100050 times)

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
Re: Cap Sucking Colts
« Reply #135 on: April 13, 2017, 06:55:31 PM »
Thanks Hawg and  wicket.
  That makes sense and coupled with a narrow slot in the hammer face, the so called "cap sucking" is more than likely a "modern problem" and was not such a common occurrence when these were contemporary weapons.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 13, 2017, 07:56:38 PM »
Thanks Hawg and  wicket.
  That makes sense and coupled with a narrow slot in the hammer face, the so called "cap sucking" is more than likely a "modern problem" and was not such a common occurrence when these were contemporary weapons.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Common enough that someone patented a fix for it in 1864

https://www.google.com/patents/US41848#v=onepage&q=&f=false
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 14, 2017, 09:01:30 AM »
Hi jaxenro, thanks for that info. Seems that Colt capsucking was an issue from the beginning of Colt use.

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2017, 10:06:33 AM »
Wonder if it was ever put into production? I've never seen one with anything like that. Even if it did happen I doubt it was anything like what people report with todays caps. I can't remember having an actual cap jam to the point of locking a gun up and rarely get one stuck to the hammer, tho it does happen from time to time it's hardly anything to complain about. I get a lot more frustrated with my dragoon lever falling every other round.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 10:12:04 AM by Hawg »
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 14, 2017, 10:22:19 AM »
Hi Hawg, need is the mother of invention. If there is no need, there is no need or reason to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

IMO it's time to change your closely held belief on capsucking.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2017, 10:48:24 AM »
Manhattan Firearms put it in some of theirs but the market for percussion revolvers was drying up by that time. The war was over surplus (and "taken home") firearms were on the market and everyone wanted cartridge guns
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2017, 11:36:16 AM »
Hi Hawg, need is the mother of invention. If there is no need, there is no need or reason to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

IMO it's time to change your closely held belief on capsucking.

Regards,
Richard

Maybe but personal experience says it's not the problem now it's made out to be and I had some of those original copper caps so I kinda doubt it was a real problem back then either.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2017, 03:47:06 PM »
I think if folks would cycle the action faster than many do, caps would be thrown clear of the action. I've seen a lot of shooters cock the hammer slowly and that is what invites the opportunity for caps/frags to fall into the action (they aren't cartridge guns!).  Of course, a late dropping bolt isn't conducive to fast or quick cycling as it will induce throw-by. So, a correctly fitted (timed close to spec.) open top should be able to function without the problem of ”cap sucking".

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 28, 2017, 08:51:21 AM »
Hi, a new (old) solution to cap sucking:

This video includes some weird theory, but another approach.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 28, 2017, 09:20:54 AM »
Interesting. Especially the foresight of Sam to anticipate ejecting the spent caps. I never looked at the channels on the recoil shield for that purpose before. Thanks, Richard!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 28, 2017, 02:39:41 PM »
Hmmmm .  .  .  don't know where he gets the info that it was Sam's "intent" but  .  .  .  .  whatever.

At the end of the vid, he admits that it is not fool proof and of course, the cap post isnt 100% fool proof either (unless you're running full speed anyway . . .).  The best thing going for the cap post, in my opinion, is the ability to relax the hammer spring tension to a much more manageable force. The fact that it is a "cap sucking" fix is almost secondary. Having a device to block the force from acting on the hammer with a lightened spring makes for a much more "user friendly"  revolver than a revolver needing a heavy spring to keep the spent cap on a cone.

I believe competition is where innovation is the "mother" needed to overcome obstacles that impair the function of a mechanical device that was an unforeseen problem before.  The components we have available today are what we have today and  I've never seen or heard of a ported cone before (from Colt's or anywhere else).  How would a cap, in Colts day, know to split at the bottom? I don't believe the cones of the day had a port for gas relief. This is how crap gets started and perpetuated  .  .  .  .  I'm not arguing that what this guy is saying may not be somewhat of a fix, but I'm am saying it's  just "another" fix for a MODERN problem. I'll stick with a cap post for the above main reason and the "cap sucking" fix.

That's my thoughts anyway .  .  . 

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 28, 2017, 07:55:36 PM »
Hi, I believe that the direction of the score on the nipple is the secret sauce. Slix-Shot nipples align the perpendicular hole randomly.

Pietta or Uberti nipples are pretty hard, filing is tough. Maybe if the nipple is first scored, then removed in order, and then hit with a dremel cutoff would make short work of it. Then put the nipples back in the order removed.

May be worth a try?

Regards,
Richard

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 28, 2017, 09:39:46 PM »
Caps in the day weren't made from foil like he claimed, they were foil lined.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 29, 2017, 10:08:13 AM »
One issue I can think of...unless you are like Johnnie and never remove your nipples for cleaning and judicious anti-seize application,  (jh they will never wind up in the same location, hence the score lines will be incorrectly clocked.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 01, 2018, 10:23:22 PM »
My Colts don’t suck nuthin and not the Rems nor the Griswold neether.  CCI 10’s and stock Pietta cones – a veritable lark.

[I know, lucky me - but that's how it is.]
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle