Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: The Wolff MUSIC WIRE Spring Trick....  (Read 3834 times)

Offline Southron

• View Profile
The Wolff MUSIC WIRE Spring Trick....
« on: March 28, 2015, 03:13:39 PM »
Several years ago my 3rd Generation 1861 Colt Navy had one of the flat spring arms of the Trigger & Stop Spring break.

That is one of the weaknesses of the Colt design, but when Old Sam Colt designed the pistol, ONLY flat springs were available.

So, I ordered several of what Wolff Springs calls their "Sear/Bolt Wire Type Springs" for the Colt Single Action Army Revolver. [they don't list replacement springs for the replica percussion revolvers.]

The "Dirty Little Secret" is those Music Wire Springs are a great improvement over the old, 19th Century Flat Springs and last a lot, lot longer! Being by nature a "Pack Rat" I ordered several of the Wolff "Wire Type Springs" [Stock Number 32294-32296 Springs]

Well, I installed one in my '61 Navy and it immediately improved the smoothness of the action and also lightened the trigger pull a tad,

So, try this "trick" I think you will be pleasantly surprised how much that Music Wire Spring improves the action of your replica Colt!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: The Wolff MUSIC WIRE Spring Trick....
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 08:24:14 PM »
I may give that a try. I'm always worried another flat spring is gonna break, and they do it with no warning.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Southron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 08:51:55 PM »
Just scroll down the page until you come to the Single Action Army Colt "Sear/Bolt Springs"

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=3&mID=1

I have never had to replace any mainspring in a replica percussion revolver, but I have had several of the flat Sear/Bolt Springs break over the years not to mention that little flat spring that is attached to the Hand.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 09:10:12 PM »
Just scroll down the page until you come to the Single Action Army Colt "Sear/Bolt Springs"

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=3&mID=1

I have never had to replace any mainspring in a replica percussion revolver, but I have had several of the flat Sear/Bolt Springs break over the years not to mention that little flat spring that is attached to the Hand.

I've done a number of those as well..... J*j
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"