Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Howdy!  (Read 6225 times)

Offline remmie58

• View Profile
Howdy!
« on: May 26, 2015, 10:02:02 PM »
Just came in from the Remington forum.  :)

Colts I've owned: '51 Navy Sheriff, '60 Army snubbie, '60 Army Sheriff, & Walker. Got into a place where I was too broke to pay attention, & had to let my Colts go. Later, in a better place, bought a couple Remington sheriffs, but started missing the Colts. Today, I ordered an 8" '60 Army. In a few days, I'll be ordering a 5" '51 Navy barrel & loading lever so I can have a "convertible" (barreled) Colt.

Re. my love for BP guns, I have a lot of old west heritage. My mother's family is from Laramie -- cowboys all. 1 of my uncles owned a horse, cattle, & sheep ranch of several sections (Rock River, just a little ways from Laramie). Except for a truck, it might as well have been back in the 1800's -- no electricity or inside toilet. He was a real cowboy; that's all he knew.
My stepmother is a descendant of Phil Coe (killed by Hickok) and George & Frank Coe (both rode with Billy the Kid). She has an original copy of the book, written by George, about life with The Kid, the Lincoln County War, etc. He said The Kid's motto was "a chance in a million". I like that. Kinda like "si se puede", but more optimistic.  :) My dad had George's old belt & holster rig, but (not realizing what he had 'til it was too late) gave it to a friend. Friend disappeared. I would like to have had it. Oh, well.   

Anyway, it's nice to have good forums for both Colt & Remington.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 01:51:17 AM by remmie58 »

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
Re: Howdy!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 03:27:28 AM »
Welcome to the forum!  grab a chair, get some coffee and get comfortable.  When you feel like it, speak up.  And I mean speak up, some of the fellow are hard of hearing (Captain).  Others don't read well so post pictures for them.

The 1860 is a great revolver, one of my favorites.  As for the 1851 barrel and lever, you will need a new cylinder to make it work, the 1860 is a 44 caliber and the 51 is a 36.

As I said, welcome!

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 04:52:37 AM »
Nice to see over here Remmie58,  I am assuming your going to order the 44 cal. '51 barrel to go along with your 1860 frame.    Sometimes you can get a 5 inch brass framed '51  in 44 cal. from Cabelas nearly as cheap as  you can get a barrel assembly.  Then you have 2 complete guns or you can use the parts from the brass framed one as spares.   

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 07:26:46 AM »
Well, Welcome remmie58! Great to have ya on here!  :-*

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 08:32:22 AM »
Welcome aboard! Glad you came over.
I love my Remmies too, but there is something about a Colt revolver that I wouldn't want to be without.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline remmie58

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 11:12:47 AM »
Welcome to the forum!  grab a chair, get some coffee and get comfortable. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Funny you should say that; I did just get some coffee as I sat down to check the forum.  :)
I love the smell of coffee & black powder in the morning!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 1860 is a great revolver, one of my favorites.  As for the 1851 barrel and lever, you will need a new cylinder to make it work, the 1860 is a 44 caliber and the 51 is a 36.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No, I'm getting the .44 Navy barrel & loading lever. Not period correct; but, I'm not really a purist.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I said, welcome!

Kevin
Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 11:40:54 AM by remmie58 »

Offline remmie58

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 11:19:39 AM »
Nice to see over here Remmie58,  I am assuming your going to order the 44 cal. '51 barrel to go along with your 1860 frame.    Sometimes you can get a 5 inch brass framed '51  in 44 cal. from Cabelas nearly as cheap as  you can get a barrel assembly.  Then you have 2 complete guns or you can use the parts from the brass framed one as spares.
Don't really wanna brasser. My 1st Navy was; but, I like heavier loads. Yeah, the barrel is .44. Not a bad idea for spare parts, tho; I hadn't thought about that. Hmmmm. 

Offline remmie58

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 11:23:25 AM »
Thanks everyone for the welcome! I've belonged to many forums, of different kinds, over the yrs.; but, the Rem. & Colt forums are the only ones I visit anymore.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 12:26:57 PM »
Howdy and welcome Remmie58.  Glad to hear you've missed the Colt's and are getting back to them.  The convertible barrel idea is a good one.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 04:37:03 PM »
Don't really wanna brasser. My 1st Navy was; but, I like heavier loads. Yeah, the barrel is .44. Not a bad idea for spare parts, tho; I hadn't thought about that. Hmmmm.

I didn't really want the brasser either.  I bought it for the barrel.  At $149  I got a barrel and a complete set of parts for my other '51 Navies.   Then I shot the brasser one day and found out I was kinda fond of it.   

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 05:46:28 PM »
Hi Remmie58, glad you made it over here too. Welcome from Wisconsin.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 01:21:57 PM by mazo kid »

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 08:44:55 PM »
Good to see you over here Remmie58.  Guess you know most everybody here already, it’s nice like that.  I’m pleased to cross your trail here at Colt. 
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 11:14:23 AM »
I didn't really want the brasser either.  I bought it for the barrel.  At $149  I got a barrel and a complete set of parts for my other '51 Navies.   Then I shot the brasser one day and found out I was kinda fond of it.

It happens.
If you already own a steel-frame, adding a few brassers won't hurt anything. Especially used. You can get 'em off the auction sites for .50 cents on the dollar, many of them never fired.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 07:30:45 AM »
Welcome! 8)