Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: What did you do today  (Read 344473 times)

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #870 on: March 24, 2020, 10:12:32 AM »
The El Camino is looking great! What color have you picked out for it?

LOL....no pink camo! I'm not sure on the color, it'll let me know once body work gets going. Could end up something like this (excuse the poor editing) 2 tone.....or not.

"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: March 24, 2020, 11:47:26 AM »
I love it!! That's very similar to how I painted the 68 Nomad.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #872 on: March 24, 2020, 04:36:50 PM »

Wagons are awesome. One even won this years Ridler, which surprised me. Do you still have it?
-Mick

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: March 24, 2020, 06:34:41 PM »

Wagons are awesome. One even won this years Ridler, which surprised me. Do you still have it?

I've always liked wagons. I had a Dodge Magnum a while back. Fastest grocery getter in town!

The Nomad belonged to a friend of mine. His father bought the car brand new in 1968. It had always been in his family. Once he got it, he drove it as is for a long time, but decided to rest-mod it, and that's how I ended up with it. We pulled the body and disassembled the car down to the last nut and bolt. He had his mechanic buddy do the chassis and drivetrain. All powder coated with new stainless hardware. It was gorgeous. He put a ZZ383 in it, with a bigger cam and aluminum heads. The thing was a beast. I did the body and paint work and put the body back on the chassis. That's where the project stalled.

His wife decided to have an affair and left him, while I had the car in my possession. He asked me not to assemble it any further until he got through his divorce. His wife was threatening to take the car from him, because she figured it was valuable. He felt it was less desirable in a million pieces. Fast forward 8 years, and he finally had me finish it. I stored that car for almost 9 years!! He finally picked it up about 3 years ago and I haven't seen it or him since.

I still need to find the pictures for you. It was a beautiful car.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 06:36:49 PM by ShotgunDave »
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #874 on: March 24, 2020, 07:34:49 PM »
Absolutely! I've always loved 60's cars.....Ford's and Chevy's mostly.

I was just gonna sell this one and go buy a good used truck. Then I saw what trucks are selling for. After being in the parts business for 45 years, I've learned quite a bit.....most importantly, if you know somebody better at things than you are...and you can trust 'em...pay them to do it. I'm doing a lot of it myself, but this LS conversion was out of my wheelhouse. So it was time to just open the checkbook. Besides, it's giving me time to try to straighten trim pieces and all the other fun stuff that comes with a 20 year old project on a 55 year old vehicle.

I did the frame and suspension..... and will do most of the bodywork. There's just a couple small rust holes in the rear quarters and I think I'll need to replace the panel under the rear window and a few dents and dings. I may just leave it in primer for a while to get ll the kinks worked out...... spraying paint is the easy part. I've still got a few connections with Sherwin Williams, so it'll also be inexpensive (I hope!). I'll never sell this one......building it to be a cruiser. We plan to travel the good old USA when it's done....the bike fits in the back and the smugglers box will be set up to hold a couple rifles....:)
-Mick

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #875 on: March 25, 2020, 06:23:14 AM »
Yesterday, I split firewood and brought it in. They are predicting maybe snow today and tomorrow. I also continued my ammo inventory and gun stuff organizing. I have twelve pounds of BP. Not sure where it all came from...

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #876 on: March 28, 2020, 12:12:58 PM »
I have been cleaning, re-arranging stuff on workbenches and shelves. Progress is slow and I make a bigger mess before it can all be placed back. Also, kind of looking to find the container of aquarium tubing/primers I had made up a while back as a replacement for caps when they were hard to get.

Offline Gray Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #877 on: March 28, 2020, 01:01:44 PM »
We're having an early spring/summer here in the southern part of Hotlanta, going to be 85 degrees if it isn't already.  I live on a suburban 1.25 acre corner lot and have been planting a series of small (12x25' size) plots to try to grow things without everyone seeing that I'm going to have something to eat besides azaleas.  I gave up trying the three sisters with corn, just grow the squashes and pole beans.  The deer and racoons get all the corn, but this year I may have to put one of those deer in the freezer for some early protein.  I've done my morning shift and will wait until about 6:00 for an evening shift.  My wife helps, but frequently comments that I have to remember I'm not 45 any more (I'll be 74 in July).  At least I'm getting some vitamin D to go along with the 500 mg of C I take twice a day.  Now if I can get Miracle Grow to perform a couple of miracles I may have something here.  I found out that my across the street neighbor, another retired Army vet, has a cool, dry portion of his basement that he offered for storage of squashes and root veggies and I'll gladly make a swap with him since we don't have one.
Best of luck to all or you folks, Gray Fox

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: March 28, 2020, 03:41:50 PM »
Since shooting is out of the question right now, I needed something to keep my brain occupied, and an outlet for my creativity. I've been doing some leather projects, but I am in need of supplies to finish those up. So while I'm waiting for the mailman to arrive, I got out an old model kit and started assembling it.

I can't let my brain or my hands go idle.

-Abe Lincoln

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #879 on: March 29, 2020, 02:10:50 AM »
Corsair ???

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #880 on: March 29, 2020, 12:33:36 PM »
Corsair ???

Good eye, Len.  I'll bet you're right.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: March 29, 2020, 01:22:05 PM »
Corsair ???

Good eye, Len.  I'll bet you're right.

Yes Sir gentlemen, F4U-1 Corsair.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #882 on: March 29, 2020, 04:12:36 PM »
Today, we did a couple of things. For one, it has been 14 days since our company shut down. Today, I did not paint, did not attend our yard, did not worry about the bills. Today, I put the dog crates in the vehicle, put my wife’s wheel chair in the vehicle, loaded the dogs and the wife into the same vehicle and drove to the Cuyahoga National Park. Once there we went to the bike and hike trail and went for a it of a walk. Herself would all until tired and then ride in her chair until rested. We covered about 4 miles that way. Dogs seemed to enjoy it as did Herself and I. Came home to make a blue cheese and caramelized onion pizza. We shared a bottle of wine with the pizza. Fed the dogs and filled the bird feeders. A nice day.

Oh, I also began my 66th lap around the Sun.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #883 on: March 29, 2020, 04:55:27 PM »
Happy Birthday Kevin.   

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 29, 2020, 05:54:55 PM »
Happy Birthday, Kevin! You and Herself stay well!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"