Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: What did you do today  (Read 344569 times)

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #945 on: May 02, 2020, 03:39:08 PM »
Well....hoping the best on the test as well as the surgery!
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: May 02, 2020, 05:03:40 PM »
Thanks.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #947 on: May 02, 2020, 07:17:50 PM »
Solid week on the El Corona. Lots done.

Custom rear mounting brackets for the rear bumper, really tucked it in...makes the CHEVR LE' look pretty good.

Floor pans had to be cut up to accommodate the Cadillac CTS seats.

Rear window "shelf" had to be narrowed  bit

Seats installed, along with carpet.

Almost all put together. Just gotta trace an injector pulse issue....hoping that be cleared up Monday.

-Mick

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: May 02, 2020, 08:28:49 PM »
Man, that El Camino is looking good! I like what you've done.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #949 on: May 02, 2020, 08:57:39 PM »
Thanks Dave! Wish I could afford body and paint right now. That's my favorite part. Love the smell of bondo in the morning. But this way I can concentrate on the interior and stereo stuff....not quite so expensive. Gonna try my hand at building the console myself. That'll be a new experience. I just need the car in my driveway instead of at the shop. Hoping for the trip home next week so I can get it inspected and licensed...... then ugly or not...I'm cruisin'!
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #950 on: May 03, 2020, 02:36:23 AM »
Man, that El Camino is looking good! I like what you've done.

I'll second that. You've been a busy bee. 8)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: May 03, 2020, 04:15:40 PM »
Thanks Dave! Wish I could afford body and paint right now. That's my favorite part. Love the smell of bondo in the morning. But this way I can concentrate on the interior and stereo stuff....not quite so expensive. Gonna try my hand at building the console myself. That'll be a new experience. I just need the car in my driveway instead of at the shop. Hoping for the trip home next week so I can get it inspected and licensed...... then ugly or not...I'm cruisin'!

I sure wish I lived close to you. I'd dive in and help get her painted. I miss painting.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #952 on: May 03, 2020, 06:17:21 PM »

I sure wish I lived close to you. I'd dive in and help get her painted. I miss painting.

Maybe I need to drive to you! My problem is no space to do the job. Gonna have to pay to get it squirted. Not going to mind leaving her rough for a bit though. It'll be nice not stressing over everything for a while....
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #953 on: May 03, 2020, 10:25:36 PM »

Maybe I need to drive to you! My problem is no space to do the job. Gonna have to pay to get it squirted. Not going to mind leaving her rough for a bit though. It'll be nice not stressing over everything for a while....

If you have the equipment you can do it on your driveway. Just pick a day that's not windy and no pollen and not too hot. You can hose it down to keep dust to a minimum. It may get some dust in it or a bug or two but overall it will still look good. As far as that goes you can paint it with a roller and it will look good until you get close to it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 10:27:20 PM by Hawg »

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #954 on: May 04, 2020, 10:31:35 AM »
Yup, I've done my share of that. However, the current driveway just won't work. I do my motorcycle stuff in the back yard, but the desert dust and constant unpredictable breeze/wind makes it really hard even with those small pieces. I usually end up doing everything 2 or 3 times to get things right.

With the cost of materials, I think it would be less expensive overall to either rent a booth or pay somebody to do it. Plus I have limited garage space for keeping all the pieces. Fortunately I know enough people in the business that'll be able to help get it done.

For now, it is what it is. Bank account is about empty. Need to try to fill it back up a bit before paint/body. It's driveable....that's the most important part.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 10:34:49 AM by Miguel Loco »
-Mick

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #955 on: May 04, 2020, 11:28:08 AM »
Miguel, a tent of some size would solve the problem.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #956 on: May 04, 2020, 07:24:03 PM »
Yes it would...it would have to be a big one. 24'+ length for room to move around. Not sure I'd have quite enough room to put one up in the backyard due to most of it being mostly a hillside. I can rent a booth for about $200, which would probably be cheaper than the circus tent. But whatever the cost, it has to wait a while anyway.
-Mick

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: May 04, 2020, 10:18:32 PM »

It would be a long haul to get it here, but I'd happily paint it. I'm in the same boat though for space. I'm in an apartment right now, and I have zero space for paint and body work.

Here's a 1950 Ford that I did the body and paint work on. It came out really nice.

And that's me, taking a selfie in the reflection of the paint on the fender.

Did I mention I miss painting?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 10:24:10 PM by ShotgunDave »
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #958 on: May 05, 2020, 05:44:29 AM »
I miss painting. I don't miss sanding. (7+" Back in the day I loved painting with Imron. That was some beautiful paint.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #959 on: May 05, 2020, 09:19:33 AM »
Nice job on the '50! It's great to get a nice clean job first time. Makes you feel like a god......only to be humbled doing the next one. :)

I actually enjoy the prep work Hawg. I'm not that good at moving metal so usually bribe a buddy to help out a bit in that area. But I'm totally anal when it comes to getting things flat. So sometimes I let somebody else do the final sanding.....just so it can get in the booth in a timely manner....lol.

"Break a leg" with the surgery tomorrow!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 09:21:18 AM by Miguel Loco »
-Mick