Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: How do you earn a living?  (Read 65890 times)

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
Re: How do you earn a living?
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2016, 09:04:57 PM »
Temps at work reached 115 today - outside.

I was working on the inside of a 4100A shovel, which is basically a big metal box. The temps in there reached 140. Even with a cool vest, which is an arc-rated vest lined with ice packs, it was "pull a bolt, sit in the air conditioning for awhile, pull a bolt, go get water, pull a bolt, go sit in the air conditioning...

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2018, 11:29:03 PM »
Work for an automotive aftermarket parts company..... for almost 40 years, with a 8 year stint owning a store. Now I travel the western USA trying to convince repair shop owners to charge more for what they do..... and actually be able to get a small paycheck some weeks. It's not an easy business to be in these days.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 11:34:18 PM by Miguel Loco »
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2018, 02:22:59 AM »
I work in IT-business intelligence doing reporting and building databases. Been with the same company for 40 years and a few days. Started there unloading trucks and just sort of worked my way around and ended up teaching myself this.

They used to own a chain of women’s clothing stores now it owns Brooks Brothers which is the oldest men’s clothing retailer in the country founddd in 1818. So along with database design I actually know a fair bit about men’s clothing. Funny the things you just sort of drift into in life
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 03:35:17 AM by jaxenro »
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline Pustic

• KM4JZJ Extra Class / WRPR990 GMRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2018, 04:59:24 PM »
I'm retired.  (*3
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2018, 09:40:31 AM »
I'm retired.  (*3

Tell the truth Pustic, you won the damn lottery!  (7&
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2018, 10:26:03 AM »
To update mine. They told me it would take five months to process my disability claim. Around here it usually takes a few years and a lawyer and a day in court. I had to jump thru all their hoops but five months to the day I was approved. I must be in worse shape than I thought I was. I know I don't drink and can't pass a field sobriety test.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Pustic

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2018, 11:44:38 AM »
I'm retired.  (*3

Tell the truth Pustic, you won the damn lottery!  (7&

Shhhhhhh, don't tell no one, but I won the world wide lottery for a grand total of $999,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,010.01  :-H
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2018, 12:16:16 PM »
 *6' And you are taking the payments at a hundred dollars a month?!

Offline Pustic

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2018, 12:35:26 PM »
*6' And you are taking the payments at a hundred dollars a month?!

All at once.  :)

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2018, 04:15:27 PM »
I deal dope, fence stolen guns, support Democrats and am a majority stockholder in a local ho house.  When not in church I can most often be found down at the Ninth Circuit Federal Courthouse makin fat pockets bein gangsta an shit.           

(7&
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 04:30:52 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline valforgettaboutit

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2018, 10:16:58 AM »
I deal dope, fence stolen guns, support Democrats and am a majority stockholder in a local ho house.  When not in church I can most often be found down at the Ninth Circuit Federal Courthouse makin fat pockets bein gangsta an shit.           

(7&

Leland Yee?

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2018, 11:46:09 AM »

Leland Yee?

Nah, Lee was a rank armature.  I'm more of the School of Willie Brown.  Our former globalist girlfriends come out of nowhere and are suddenly made US Senators.  Such a business!

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2018, 05:24:07 PM »
Shy, huh?
OK, I'll start...
I maintain a Dassault Falcon 2000 for a corporate flight department. Been an A&P/IA for over 3 decades maintaining all kinds of GA aircraft and owned a maintenance business up until a year ago when I left for greener pastures due to the failing economy (Thanks, Obama!)

I have been retired for sometime now but was a fire fighter for 30 years. Ended up forced to retire on disability so went to school and learned to tune and repair pianos. Owned a business doing that for 9 years.

No I buy BP guns. Of course did that before. Seems like i make bad deals more often than not.  :-H
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 02:27:55 PM by tljack »
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Flinters are awesome!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2018, 07:09:13 PM »
Guess it's time for an update...I now maintain TWO Falcon 2000's for the same corporate flight dept.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Smokey

• View Profile
    • Black Powder Smoke
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2018, 09:44:08 AM »
Loser extraordinare:
Back in the late 80s and early 90s, I had a video store and a route servicing video stores from Virginia to Florida.
In 1993, I began work at the bottom with a company that made a polymer that can be used to grow crops anywhere, even the desert.
Presently the deceased owner's son and I carry on with the remnant of a once thriving business; a small microbial business with a handful of customers. I do the administrative stuff, he mixes the products. Looks like we will never resurrect the polymer operation.
So I am a  bus driver and substitute teacher at the local high school. We will be out of work after Thursday.
Looking to the future now in poor health. I plan to work on getting new customers, mostly hog farmers.
I would like to not have to go back to work with the school system in August, but I will do what I have to do.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 09:47:09 AM by Smokey »