Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Pietta 1851 on sale at Cabelas  (Read 5399 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Pietta 1851 on sale at Cabelas
« on: August 18, 2015, 11:18:26 AM »
Hi, just a note to let you know that Cabellas has the Pietta 1851 Navy on sale for $200. There is also free shipping.

I ordered one for Christmas for my son-in-law.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
Re: Pietta 1851 on sale at Cabelas
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 08:11:35 AM »
 )lI

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 08:52:59 AM »
Saw that, but the Cabelas web sez $5 shipping.
Anyway, might just pull the trigger, as I have some reward money
just waiting to be claimed. ::)
Already have an Navy  1851 made in 1978 by Pietta, Navy Arms imported.
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 09:30:51 AM »
Hi Hewy, Cabellas shipping was free when I posted about the sale.

Those that hesitate are lost.  )lI

The Pietta steel frame 1851 is a very accurate revolver, the most accurate model revolver I own.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 10:26:16 AM »
Yep, know about hesitation missed a  Police 5 1/2 1862 by 5 min on an auction,
it went for $172 :'(
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 12:49:02 PM »
Hi, the Pietta 1851 .36 that I ordered on sale from Cabelas for my son-in-law for Christmas just came in the door. Of course I had to inspect it. Every new Pietta I receive gets better and better!! This revolver's fit and finish is outstanding. The timing is perfect. Colt doesn't do it any better. The color case hardened frame is simply exquisite, the bluing is impeccable, and the stock wood figure is excellent.

I only have one regret, I didn't buy it for myself.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 02:33:20 PM »
I just picked one up today at Cabelas for my grandson for his birthday (17). They had to get it from another store.  Ya it looks nice. I would have picked one up for myself,BUT, I just bought an 1860 "Thunderer" 3" barrel 44cal Army Monday.The wife of 42 years said she didn't think so. I said Butt dear,I don't have one in 36cal,just 44cal.  No dice. Maybe next month or year.
The easy we make difficult,the difficult we make imposable.  Some days its so true.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 11:48:08 AM »
Hi, the Pietta 1851 .36 that I ordered on sale from Cabelas for my son-in-law for Christmas just came in the door. Of course I had to inspect it. Every new Pietta I receive gets better and better!! This revolver's fit and finish is outstanding. The timing is perfect. Colt doesn't do it any better. The color case hardened frame is simply exquisite, the bluing is impeccable, and the stock wood figure is excellent.

I only have one regret, I didn't buy it for myself.

Regards,
Richard

Glad you are happy with your purchase. I bought one on sale (~$200 + $5 S&H) last post-Christmas and I found mine to be the same as you describe (date code CM/2014).

Please check the arbor-to-barrel-hole fit. Mine was good but with only .0005" barrel/cylinder gap. .002" would be better and I fit a shim into the barrel hole to correct that.

Also, due to my propensity to dry fire the pistol [using a leather strip between the hammer and the nipples (the hammer contacts the nipples before the frame)] my Pietta had a slightly thick bolt wherein the bolt contacted all of the cylinder stop-slot approaches early. This caused some minor peening at the beginning of the approaches (all very consistent) as you can see in the photo (which was taken a few months ago). I have since procured a new Pietta bolt, fitted it properly, and saved the original bolt.

I have also acquired a squareback TG and some better wood for a replica representation of an 1851 2nd Model.

Hope you and your son-in-law enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 12:55:47 PM »
Hi Jim, as you pointed out, the cylinder to barrel gap is very small. I was initially concerned about that, but found no issue in practice. I use either conversion cylinders or Black MZ in my extra 1851 cylinders. Maybe it would be an issue for a fouling powder like holy black, I don't know. There is conjecture that a small gap minimizes fouling. I was almost ready to buy another Pietta 1851, but already have two and the shorter barrel Pietta 1862 that should be called an 1861. My wife remarked the other day that I hadn't purchased any new BP revolvers for myself lately. Oh, do I now have a license to buy!  &\? &\? &\?

BTW, thanks for posting your photo of your beautiful 1851, I could look at it all day!

Regards,
Richard

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 04:24:09 PM »
Thanks for the compliment on my squareback.

Sounds like Momma is a peach!

Have a great day!

Jim

Edit: If you wish to obtain a squareback TG, I ordered mine from Taylors & Co. It was a 2+month wait as they don't keep them in stock and have to wait for their Pietta order to go through Customs, etc.

If you are interested, the contact person at Taylors is Ashley Loy. Very nice person and good to deal with. Per her email:

We can order the brass squareback triggerguard for you. It is part A2131 and the cost is $25.00. Please let me know if you would like to order this. Thank you!

It took a while, but as you can see the order came through just fine and a bit of wait time.

Just FYI.

Jim

« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 04:36:16 PM by sourdough »
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo