Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: ASM Squareback 1851  (Read 5393 times)

Offline Canaris

• View Profile
ASM Squareback 1851
« on: September 08, 2015, 08:19:28 AM »
I just did a little upgrade on my ASM Navy.  I swapped out the hammer for one made by Uberti. Never did like the shape of the original.  It appears that all the parts on my ASM are fully interchangeable with Uberti components.
(Plus it gave me an opportunity to try out my new Nikon 16-35mm lens)

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
Re: ASM Squareback 1851
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 11:30:36 AM »
A fine series of photos there Canaris.  That Navy looks great.  What year is your ASM?
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Canaris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 12:42:57 PM »
It has an "AL" code, so 1983.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 04:21:00 PM »
Looking good.  I like the square backs.   Funny how parts are with these reproductions,  My ASM 1860 will swap parts with a Pietta revolver.  Uberti parts are close but not exactly right.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 08:56:18 AM »
Looks good!  L@.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 10:43:41 AM »
I, too, have always liked the squareback TG (I have a 2014 [CM] Pietta 1851 Navy .36 that originally came with the round TG but "upgraded" it to a Pietta squareback TG from Taylors'). Before you stated the date of manufacture, I was straining my old eyes for the date code and the proof marks. Could not see them even with those nice pics. Is it marked S. Marco (or similar) anywhere? Just curious as I have an ASM 1848 Pocket 6" .31 squareback w/load lever (marked REPLICA ARMS CO EL PASO TEXAS / MADE IN ITALY) that has the 2 proof marks (frame, barrel, & cylinder) and the date code XIX (1963: first year of manufacture) but not marked as an Armi San Marco anywhere (I have completely disassembled the pistol). I have it on good authority (Dr. Jim L. Davis:  http://rprca.tripod.com/ ) that it is an ASM.

I especially like your pistol because all of the screw slots are in very good shape. You must have a very nice set of gunsmith (hollow-ground bit) screwdrivers and I can well appreciate that!

It is always appreciated when folks post pics of older replica C&B revolvers of different manufacturers/dates, along with posts like yours and others explaining what other manufacturer's parts fit other pistols and the degree of fitting necessary, even just for comparison. That's why I like the BP forums on every site I frequent.

Very nice, Canaris!

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Canaris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 11:32:06 AM »
Much like current Uberti's, the manufacturers name and "Blackpowder Only" is stamped under the loading lever.  Plus they have Colt's name stamped on the cylinder.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 05:00:30 PM »
I own 4 ASM revolvers and agree with Scooby.   All of mine are finished at least as good as the Ubertis I have of the same vintage.   I would put them above any Pietta revolver I have.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 09:11:50 PM »
I only own one San Marco, my 'accidental' Schneider & Glassick....and it's really a fine piece. I have no bones to pick regarding ASM's
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"