Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Ready for casting  (Read 13922 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Ready for casting
« on: November 19, 2015, 07:14:43 PM »
I received my casting equipment a couple days ago and my order of lead was due to be delivered today.   I was prepared to come home and give it a try but the lead ingots I ordered did not arrive.   Now it may have to wait until I have some time on my hands.   That may not be until after Thanksgiving.
Here is a pic of the new pot and molds.   The molds are cleaned and smoked and ready to go.  Just need some lead for the pot.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 07:17:23 PM by mike116 »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Ready for casting
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 10:26:30 AM »
Looks like you are all set to go!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 06:24:48 PM »
I agree, the fun will be starting soon!

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 03:28:43 AM »
Mike,

Keep a industrial pie plate handy to catch the drips.  If you use that pot to melt the ingots, place something over the top to contain the heat and promote faster melting.

Looks like the mold on the right is the 200 grain RNFP for the 43 caliber.  I use that one in my Richards Conversions chambered for the 44 Colt.  Good bullet.

At some point you will get tired of pouring two at a time, let me know and I will suggest some very good 4, 5 and 6 cavity molds.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 04:05:12 AM »
Hi Mike, looking good! I still need to see the gloves and safety glasses.  ;)

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 06:12:39 AM »
Kevin,    I have the drip pan ready.   I considered the 6 cavity molds for couple bullets but I doubt I'll need many.  Last year I bought 150 bullets for for 45 Colt and 100 for my 44/40.   I still have 25 of each.   If I don't shoot more than that I won't need the bigger molds.

Richard,  I wear safety glasses all the time.  I am blind as a bat without my prescription glasses so I have safety glasses made in my prescription.   I do have gloves too.   Not going near that hot lead without some protection.

Thanks

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 06:54:32 AM »
Hi Mike, I used to cast cartridge ammo bullets, but gave up since it was a royal PITA. First off, you need to mix the right alloy and lead alloy needs continuous fluxing. The bullets then need to be tested for hardness. Then the bullets need to be sized and lubed. I have found it much cheaper and less frustrating buying my lead cartridge bullets ready to go. As you know, I do cast all my pure lead projectiles.

BTW, I think that a bottom pour pot would crap up pretty fast with lead alloy contaminates.

I currently buy my lead alloy bullets from Oregon Trails, Speer, and Magnus.

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 07:22:17 AM »
Richard,   I only shoot soft lead bullets in my BP cartridges loaded for my conversions and lever guns.  I just buy bullets for 45ACP and 38 special so I will only be using pure lead ingots.   Don't plan on using any alloys.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 09:13:19 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the good advice.   I will keep these threads on casting handy for reference once I get started.   I'm a bit of an independent sort and not in the habit of asking for advice.  I usually feel my way along and figure things out for myself.   This one of the benefits of a small forum such as this one.   I have not asked for advice from any members but never the less you all have volunteered more information than I could have gathered in hours of internet searches.   I appreciate every ones willingness to help and will utilize all the information offered.
That is if the USPS ever delivers the box of lead I ordered.   The tracking info said it was in Denver on Wednesday and "out for delivery".   So far no sign of the package and no one seems to know where it is.   

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 03:49:24 AM »
For years I made a good supply with two cavity molds.  At one point I bought a pair of 358-150 WC molds and used them alternately to keep my competition ammunition loaded.  Casting and shooting thousands of rounds a week.  A six would have made it easier but the pair was sufficient.  Now, like you, the simpler things work for me. 

This past year, I have managed to get out a couple of times but probably fired fewer shots than most members do at one range trip.  It makes me savor each shot but makes reloading simple and quick.

Kevin

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 11:23:10 AM »
I cast for BPCs also, but I'm not anal about it as I do not shoot in competition. It is no big deal to make up  a pot full of 20-1 or 30-1 alloy. I have also cast a bunch of 1-1 lead/wheelweight alloy. That comes very close to the Lyman #2 alloy. I still use my single and double cavity molds a lot, but if I want a large quantity of bullets in a hurry, there is always my Lee 6 banger molds. Mike keep us posted on your progress.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 05:27:25 PM »
Hi Mike, looking good! I still need to see the gloves and safety glasses.  ;)

Regards,
Richard

PFFTTTT we don't need no steenkin gloves or glasses.  (7+" I did start making sure I had on socks before casting tho. I dropped a sprue once and it went inside my shoe up against my bare skin.  (7+" I cannot do anything with gloves on no matter how thin they are. Trying to do so will get me hurt as it has several times in the past.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 07:38:38 PM »
I'm gonna wear my leather mechanics gloves.   I don't like to wear gloves either but I can deal with it if I need to.   As for glasses,  I wear impact proof glasses everyday.   I can't see without them and since I use routers, table saws, planers and stuff that can throw crap at you I always have safety glasses on.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 09:26:31 PM »
I can't even weld with gloves on and I used to do a lot of it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 03:15:42 AM »
Since the topic of safety has been breeched, I recommend you cast standing on your feet.  If molten lead starts to run, it is much easier to move froma standing position than from a seated one.  Gloves, your skin, your choice.  Glasses, not an option in my opinion.  One visit from the tinsel fairy will make a believer out of anyone, hopefully not a blind believer.  I wear a long sleeve shirt and long pants, I used to wear a leather apron but have gotten away from that.

No food or drink in the area I am casting.  Nothing to distract me from paying attention to the 650-700 degree puddle.

Casting is not dangerous if you use a little common sense.

Kevin

www.NoonSharpening.com