Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Different Grips?  (Read 5651 times)

Offline rodwha

• View Profile
Different Grips?
« on: December 05, 2015, 06:31:34 PM »
So I must admit upfront I've not been much of a fan of the .36 as I believe bigger is better, especially with the same size frame. But I hear the '51 Colt Navy is a must to own, that it damn near points itself. I've also read that the creeping loading lever system of the '61 was an improvement. But does it have the same "self pointing" grip?

I also must admit that I'm a sucker for the older look that some might say is blocky. Just looks better to me.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Different Grips?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 06:42:56 PM »
The navy grips are the same and are even the same on the 73's..
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 06:45:49 PM by Hawg »
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 06:55:58 PM »
Would you recommend one over the other, and if so why?

I've heard the rack and pinion gear legs are fragile and can break. But that was by just one person.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 07:04:31 PM »
I haven't heard that. I know the 60 army has a better feel when loading than the 51 does but my preference with the .36 is the 51, never had a 61.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 07:06:37 PM »
What draws you to the '51 over the '61?

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 07:07:41 PM »
Octagonal barrel. Always been a sucker for them.

Offline rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 07:22:53 PM »
I really like how Colt made the octagon barrel work so nicely. The streamlined models are just OK. I've been torn on the Police and Pocket Navy as I don't care as much for the scrolled cylinders quite so much.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 07:28:19 PM »
If you're going to get pocket models get Uberti. They're at least on the right size frame.

Offline rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 07:30:00 PM »
Being proper is right for me. I'm not interested in the Pietta model and don't care much for them misrepresenting it.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 07:48:35 PM »

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 03:48:29 AM »
I like the 1861 because it seems to be a bit quicker handling than the 51s.  I attribute this to the round barrel.  On the scale, they both weigh the same but in the hand, the 61 seems more responsive.  And when I started shooting C&B revolves the first ones I was given were 1861s.  I think I gave $75 for the pair, which was abit high for the times but they were complete and original.  Later sold them to a fellow who said I should not be shooting them.  Used the $$ to buy a couple of 61s from Uberti.  In my hands, they were about the same. 

As far as the Pietta, it is a good copy of a custom barreled 1861 but not a Pocket Police revolver.

For a first Colt, I would recommend either the 51 or 61 as the Pocket revolvers are a lot more fun to get to work properly.  Learn on the larger frame and go to the smaller one later.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 08:02:32 PM »
Never heard of them breaking either. They can get sorta persnickety if you drop them in sand, but no problemo if you just dunk it in a creek and swish it around a bit.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"