Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Brass or Steel Washer  (Read 9456 times)

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
Brass or Steel Washer
« on: February 05, 2016, 06:58:13 AM »
For shimming the arbor, do you guys have a preference between steel washer or brass? 

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
Re: Brass or Steel Washer
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 08:31:03 AM »
I don't see that it would make any difference, it really doesn''t have any significant pressure on it.     Mark
on these walks make your gun your constant companion.   TJ

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 08:48:56 AM »
Hi 99whip, I used brass because it was easy to fabricate compared to steel. See on my Walker:

I have also used brass washers on my Uberti 1849s and 1862 and have had no issues.

While I use brass, Mike (www.goonsgunworks.com) uses steel.

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 10:57:24 AM »
Whichever you have handy.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 12:19:41 PM »
 Use steel ( just like Richard said I would!!)
If you will bring up the bottom of the arbor hole to meet the arbor, you can (if you wish) fit other barrels easily by bringing up the arbor hole to the same arbor and have multiple barrels for the same frame, and maintain a very tight tolerance. I have done multiple barrels for many customers. Trying to fit a "fixed" arbor to multiple barrels would be a nightmare! Besides, you don't want jewelry (or anything else) stuck on the end of your arbor!

Even if your frame is brass, the barrel is steel and your arbor is steel. Use steel.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 12:26:09 PM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 07:20:37 PM »
All good suggestions, thank you.  Great looking job Richard, really clean.

I am playing around with an Uberti 1849 Pocket and want to bottom the arbor.  Just wondered if the brass would compress and change shape over time.  Couldn't find a steel washer to easily fit the diameter of the arbor hole and thought maybe I could more easily shape a brass one.

One question for 45 Dragoon, what do you set the washer down in the arbor hole with?  JB, Loctite?  No reason to ever get it out I guess?   

99W

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 09:35:52 PM »
I use a steel impregnated epoxy that's specially formu . . . . . ah !!!!!    JB.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @  goonsgunworks
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 09:37:50 PM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 07:33:52 AM »
What is the porpose of doing this?

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 08:10:46 AM »
What is the porpose of doing this?

Hi Sam, have you noticed that depending on how hard you push the barrel wedge in on your Uberti Walker, you change the cylinder/barrel gap? Fitting an extension on the arbor causes the the barrel to stop with a desired gap that is reproducible no matter the force applied to the barrel wedge. Doing this mod creates a revolver with reproducible velocity and accuracy with minimal fouling.

The amount of metal you need to add to current production Uberti Walkers is ~0.100". 

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 08:17:27 AM »
Thanks Richard.
I didn't know that.
When I was shooting my Walker the other day, I just tapped the wedge in with the palm of my hand.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 08:34:25 AM »
Well, until it's done, the two assemblies will move with and against each other. This can end up with a chewed up wedge and displaced material in the barrel assy, right behind the wedge. Also, every time you move the wedge, you are moving the barrel/cylinder clearance so, without the arbor bottoming out, you never really have the same exact revolver each time you re-assemble it (or depending on the severity of the fit, shot to shot!!).

The arbor defines the barrel/cyl clearance and a bottomed arbor assures the same setup each time to assemble the revolver. Even if you tap the wedge in rather hard (as in smacking the fool out of it!!), the barrel won't meet the cylinder. I always tell folks to tap the wedge in and out rather than "finger tight". Tapping it (until it sounds and feels solid) " loads" the two assemblies and will allow it to maintain very close tollerances. Folks that just push the wedge in finger tight can measure the bbl/cyl clearance and then tap (really tap) and the measurement will change.

The arbors solid contact with the barrel assembly will transmit the vibrations throughout the revolver as if it is one assembly rather than two assemblies held together - fighting against each other with the wedge acting as the referee!!

A solid, close tolerance open top will shoot better, cleaner, be more consistent and reliable.

That, is the purpose of fixing the "short arbor " problem basically every Uberti has. The problem exists because of manufacturing. These revolvers would be much more expensive if any more than necessary "hand fitting" was utilized.
Pietta seems to have figgered out a better arbor fitment program in the past couple of years.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 09:13:10 AM »
So, 45 Dragoon, did I need to do this on my Walker and other Colts?

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 10:37:33 AM »
Sam
 It's pretty much all of Uberti's open tops. They all have the "short arbor " syndrome. Other than that, I feel the Uberti is still the better revolver between them and Pietta. Although, Pietta has really stepped up their game.  It's almost a personal preference as my old carry gun was a converted '60 (Pietta) so I'm not knocking them. I wish they would offer the "horse pistols"!! Till then, Uberti is the only game in town!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline old fogey

• Ass-hat Extrodinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 05:58:52 PM »
JFYI, Mike, Pietta will do small (200 guns +) runs of custom guns (provided payment up front,) to the customer's specifications (if'n you could get 199 other like minded folks you could have a custom made Pietta Stainless Walker with your preference of twist and cylinder chamber size)!

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 07:31:07 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Thanks old fogey! I was just talking to someone tonight about that very thing.

Mike
www.goonsgunworkscom