Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: DoubleDeuce1 has an 1851!  (Read 7045 times)

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
DoubleDeuce1 has an 1851!
« on: February 14, 2016, 01:26:42 PM »
DoubleDeuce1 asked me to post these for him.

Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
Re: DoubleDeuce1 has an 1851!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 01:28:49 PM »
A couple more.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 01:29:53 PM »
One more.

DD1 can fill in the comments.

Kevin

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 02:14:26 PM »
Whooo! Nice one!  L@.

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 03:26:37 PM »
Thank you again Kevin.
This 1851 Colt Navy in stainless steel came from the Colt Archive Collection. Colt sold off a lot of their items. This one was sold through Butterfield and Butterfield. I found this revolver in a local gun shop on display with several other Second Generation Colts and a few Signature Colts. This was on Valentine's Day a couple of years ago. Being in the gun shop with my Valentine... I wanted to look at some of the items on display. We had just come from a very nice lunch )l_, and I thought my Valentine would indulge me, allowing me to have a look... L@J
Have you ever felt like Charley Brown when he is sitting in his classroom at school, and the teacher drones on and on? (>> Then the third degree starts.  *9+ You all know the drill. I am maintaining my innocence of having no preconceived notion of doing anything... Blah, blah, blah. I told her I merely wanted to look.

I noticed the SS 1851 Navy in the display case. It really didn't excite me. In fact I thought it was downright ugly. Having never seen one before, I asked to hold it. Valentine was right at my elbow with the standard "You're not buying another gun are you?" I told her I wasn't interested, but I thought the stainless idea for black powder was pretty cool as far as clean up goes. After a day at the range, I get to spend the evening cleaning everything, no matter who did the shooting. I explained it was just like my other Navy except stainless. Then I offered it to her to hold. She took it and commented about how heavy it seemed and all. She handed it back to me to return to the store clerk. As a matter of routine, I asked the price of the revolver. $$$$$

I stepped farther down the display case to look at other guns, blued guns. I get the same drill about buying another gun... I gave the same explanation, just looking... I found a blued 1851 Navy and took a look at it. Valentine was again at my side now that I had another shooter out of the display case and in my hand. It cost a bunch less than the SS Navy. I showed it to Valentine and let her hold it. She didn't like it. I told her it was the same thing as the SS Navy. She still didn't like it. She walked over to the SS Navy and said she liked it instead. I mentioned how much more expensive it was than the blued revolver. I added that I didn't care for it, SS being not very appealing to me.

I looked at a few more guns at the opposite end of the case, very far away from the SS Navy. When I was finished, I told Valentine I was ready to leave and headed toward the door. She asked why we came into the shop if I wasn't going to buy a new gun? I told her I didn't need another gun. I had enough already. I looked back at her and she was standing by the case with the SS Navy. She said "This one is really pretty though." I looked her direction and I noticed a light from above shining down on the SS Navy, glinting off the steel. It began calling me. Hesitantly, I walked back to where Valentine was standing saying it was time to go. Now she says, "But I like this one. It's pretty." I protested saying I didn't need or want another gun... But she dug her heels in and said loud enough for the clerk to hear, that she thought it was pretty. The clerk returned to the display case...

I asked about the guns on display. I was told that a local collector was thinning out his collection and brought the Colts in to sell. He had brought in fifteen or twenty Colts, and they were flying off the shelves. Valentine wanted to "look" at the SS Navy again. And again I get the 'it's pretty' stuff. I tell her she doesn't shoot the Italian Navy I take to the range. She says she would shoot this one if I got it... Why you ask???  Because it's pretty. I mentioned the other blued Navy on display and said I would buy that one for her to shoot. She wouldn't budge. She liked the pretty one. I told her I could buy two or three Colts, or several Italian versions for the price of the SS Navy... It's pretty. I ask her if I bought the SS Navy, would she shoot it? Of course her reply was a hearty affirmative. I asked her how could I justify the cost for something I didn't need, like or want... Remember, this was Saint Valentine's Day.

I asked the clerk if they were firm on the price. He said he would talk to the boss/ owner of the shop who just happened to listen and watch the entire exchange between Valentine and me. :'( The boss has known me for many, many years. He looks at the revolver and checks an inventory card pertaining to the revolver. He says "Well, I don't know..." I am still getting the 'pretty' comments from you know who. I ask the owner if he could just show me a little bit of "love". I was looking at that long ride home after we left his shop. He thinks about it, and then makes me an offer. I counter. He thinks a moment more, and then says "Sure. Why not." Now I am committed. :o

He boxes the revolver and out the door we go. I get to hear "You said I could shoot it. I want to go shooting more with you." It was a very long drive home...

I go to put this boat anchor into the safe. But before I do, I decide to take it out and get a good look at it. I noticed some stickers on the end of the box. Hang tags were stuffed down in between the pieces of the grey foam liner. All moderately interesting. I decide to pull out the foam liner... Underneath, I found a neatly folded piece of paper. I opened the paper and saw that it was a letter from Colt giving the history of that revolver and where it came from. I read the letter a couple of more times. I folded it back up and replaced it in the bottom of the box. (jh

That evening as we were having our supper, I brought out the box and revolver. I said to Valentine "Remember that Colt Navy? Well we can't shoot it." I showed her the letter and her jaw dropped. She understood what I meant because her father had been a very discerning gun collector. He had owned one of the few remaining, pristine revolving Colt carbines. I think it might have been a Paterson carbine. I have only seen pictures of it. He had number 3, or 5. His collection was sold off through an auction house to pay estate taxes after his death. ^j)

I have seen other SS Navy Colt revolvers for sale. The owners would be asking for four and five times the amount I painfully paid. The SS Navy has grown on me. It is a beautiful revolver. &\? (7&

I am very fortunate to have Valentine. She is a tremendously good sport, and a wonderful lady. Plus, she puts up with me. J*j    8)

Offline Ringo

• A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    • View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 04:05:02 PM »
I'm so jealous I can't even comment.  (l_
Beautiful story, DoubleDeuce ! I wish something of the kind would sometime happen to me...  _8j

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 05:02:04 PM »
What a great story! What a great wife! What a great pistol!

I cannot add to this.

Fantastic!

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 06:00:02 PM »
That's a good story to go along with a nice lettered Colt revolver DoubleDuece1.   You are a lucky man.

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 06:31:31 PM »
I am extremely fortunate to have my Valentine. Letter or no letter, she is tops. 8)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 06:33:21 PM »
Nice. Happy Valentine's day! &\?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 07:02:02 PM »
What a great find! Beautiful piece.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 08:53:13 PM »
What a great find! Beautiful piece.

Congratulations on a great find DD. 
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 09:28:16 PM »
Thanks Fingers.

My Valentine now considers the SS Navy "her" revolver. She is quick to remind me and anyone who will listen, about her "Valentine present with the big string attached." (7+"  That is kind of sort of like how I was able to pull off the double Colt pockets purchase a couple of weeks ago.  *6' Now she will have her own "pretty" gun to shoot.

She really is a great sport. She almost NEVER asks for anything for herself... Unless of course it is dinner out because she needs a break. I'll even offer to take her out to eat without being asked. I am only too happy to comply. 8)

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 09:06:37 AM »
Thanks Fingers.

My Valentine now considers the SS Navy "her" revolver. She is quick to remind me and anyone who will listen, about her "Valentine present with the big string attached." (7+"  That is kind of sort of like how I was able to pull off the double Colt pockets purchase a couple of weeks ago.  *6' Now she will have her own "pretty" gun to shoot.

She really is a great sport. She almost NEVER asks for anything for herself... Unless of course it is dinner out because she needs a break. I'll even offer to take her out to eat without being asked. I am only too happy to comply. 8)

Sounds a lot like my better half.  She tolerates my collecting asking for nothing in return; although she claims some of the items as her own and offers to sell them to me.  She's a keeper, that's for sure.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 10:26:28 AM »
Hi, from the time I was married, some 53ys ago, my wife has often said, "What's mine is mine, and what yours is mine".

I reminder her of that when ever I buy a new firearm. I tell her that I just bought her a new gun.  *6' *6' *6'

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!