Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: My 1851  (Read 9416 times)

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
My 1851
« on: February 18, 2016, 03:32:47 AM »
Posting the photos of DoubleDeuce1's 1851 got me thinking about my own 1851.  I was in the Log cabin Shop one day when a fellow came in with a few of his dad's guns to sell.  One was an 1851 and Dan merely pointed to the case that was full of them, probably a dozen or so.  Dan bought a couple of pieces from him but not everything.  As the fellow was walking away, I asked Dan if he would mind if I made an offer.  He says "Go ahead".  I follow the fellow and ask if he still want s to sell anything.  He had a bunch of single shot pistols left but only one revolver, an 1851.  Now, as some of you know, I am not a fan of the 51, preferring the improved belt revolver of Navy caliber, the 1861.  However, this one was somehow different.  It appeared to be unfired and in great shape.  I did not recognize the maker G&U, nor were there the usual stampings on the frame.  And there was no engraving on the cylinder.  We dicker a bit and the 1851 comes home with me.

As I am looking at it and cleaning it, other unusual things become apparent.  There are no safety pins on the cylinder.  There is no slot cut in the hammer for the pins.  The sight notch is not a hastily cut "V" but a proper square notch.  The frame is not cut for a shoulder stock, nor is the backstrap and the necessary screws have not been added either.

A bit of research and I find that before Uberti was well known, he teamed up with another fellow to make the replicas.  So, this revolver was built by the firm Gregorelli & Uberti. The forerunner of the Uberti firm and one of, if not the, first makers of replica percussion revolvers.  Mine is an early one, #1226. 

Of all my percussion revolvers, this one is still not fired.

The obligatory photo.

Kevin
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 07:53:30 PM by StrawHat »
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: My 1851
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 04:34:10 AM »
Oh, Day-umm! A G&U Navy!
You are one lucky feller.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 05:37:12 AM »
Why is it not fired?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 07:08:08 AM »
Why is it not fired?
He would probably lose 25% of the value. Sounds like a motivator to me.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Ringo

• A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    • View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 08:46:32 AM »
Kevin, I hate you !!! A Gregorelli & Uberti, and a very early one too...  >:(
I think they are almost as rare as original Colts over here, maybe even a bit more.
Don't you show any picture, I might have a stroke. (??

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 10:26:32 AM »
Geeze StrawHat...Am I going to be blamed now for your tom foolery? &\?  Going weak in the knees for something as unappealing as that, is a sure sign of a flawed character, coupled with exceptionally poor judgement. ^j) Perhaps if I had been there to act as your adviser, the gentleman with the obviously heavy load of items might have offered you money to lighten his burden. If you approached it correctly, you would have pointed out the benefits of lighter loads resulting in greater fuel efficiency. Therefore, you would be saving the gentleman untold amounts of money in fuel costs alone for his return trip home. It should have worked out that he gave you the revolver, which was obviously the heaviest object he was carrying, and paid you for your advice and opinion. You know, kind of like those folks you pay to come into your home, and show you how to clean out your closets. L@J

I know you said the revolver went home with you... But did it get into the house? Why did you conveniently (it would seem), skip that part?  *9+ J*j If you are creative, you can use the example of those overstuffed closets. You can tell the boss you were on a cleaning frenzy, and found this old and forgotten, discarded revolver in the bottom of your junk closet. It is more believable than saying you found it in your sock drawer. *6'

By the way, good find!  8)

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 03:48:57 PM »
Not only did this revolver come into the house but it has gone through 4 or 5 moves.  I picked it up +/- 30 years back.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 05:01:22 PM »
I think they are almost as rare as original Colts over here, maybe even a bit more.

Yes, it is a nice one. Quite a collectors piece. Who of us ever dreamed 45 plus years ago that our replicas would become collectors items like the originals they were designed from.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 09:44:26 PM »
Hi Kevin. Haven't talked to you in a while. Still don't ring any bells? Think moose milk. (7+" Nice 51. I like them. Mine is a newer Uberti and it's just beggen for a mate.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 07:36:41 AM »

I know you can't buy guns from over here Ringo but here's one you can drool over for a minute.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=543490225

Offline Ringo

• A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    • View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 08:15:03 AM »
I know you can't buy guns from over here Ringo but here's one you can drool over for a minute.
That is mean !  J*j
I would give half my collection (at least) for this one. I can't believe noone has bid over it.  (K| I would gladly bid the $450 at once, but the fees I would have to add before I could lay my hands on it would more than double the price.
I guess all the G&U have flewn to the U.S.A. and are not likely to ever come back to old Europe...  "p_

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 10:26:30 AM »
StrawHat,

I checked the serial number on my revolver. It is #2275. I re-read some notes I made from the information I got from Navy Arms. The lady who helped me with the history of my revolver said "According to Mr. Forgett, production began September 1959."

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 12:23:47 PM »
Hi Kevin, what is the quality of that original Uberti? Did they take more pains in setting up barrel/cylinder gap, etc., than current production?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 08:18:28 AM »
I have a G&U 1851 Navy. It's like yours with no proofmarks. I got mine used off gunbroker and I do shoot it since it had been fired before I bought it. I really like the architecture, it is lighter with a narrower barrel and frame than the Colt 2nd Gen 1851's. I addition to the features you mentioned I also noticed it has a very fast twist barrel, approx. 1 in 8" and the nipple thread size is the same as for original Colt revolvers.

Offline johnod

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2016, 09:51:50 PM »
I also have a G&U 1851.

Does anyone have one, as well as a Uberti?
I'm wondering if the cylinders are interchangeable, as i'd like to buy another cylinder.