Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: The First Replicas  (Read 5793 times)

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
The First Replicas
« on: February 19, 2016, 04:03:46 AM »
Each time I read this I learn something.  Been reading it for decades.

Hope you all enjoy it.

http://rprca.tripod.com/GunThatStartedItAll.htm

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Ringo

• A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    • View Profile
    • répliques Old West
Re: The First Replicas
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 05:12:04 AM »
Do you understand, as I do, that the first Italian replicas were exclusively 1851 Navies, made by Gregorelli & Uberti, and the first date was 1959 ?

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 07:43:29 AM »

Replicas are becoming a very interesting history in themselves.
I have a Navy Arms 1851 replica made by Pietta dated 1978, not that
it would be considered vintage , but it is by me.
Thanks for posting the article.
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 03:15:45 PM »
Do you understand, as I do, that the first Italian replicas were exclusively 1851 Navies, made by Gregorelli & Uberti, and the first date was 1959 ?

I believe the first replica revolvers were based on the 1851 Colt and built in 1959.  They were marketed by Val Forgett's Navy Arms as the Yank and the Rebel.  One had a steel frame and the other a brass frame and round barrel.  I remember the first time I saw a replica in a shop.  It was priced the same as a Colt 1851 that was in the same case.  The finish on the Colt was not as fine as on the newly minted replica but there was a bit of finish.

We were shooting a lot of originals back then.  It really wasn't until after the Centennial of the American Civil War that we started using replicas.  I would say  they did not really take hold until the 70s.

Kevin

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 03:27:13 PM »

Actually, I don't believe that is accurate.  According to William Edwards' book, The first 18 replicas were 6 1851s and 12 Griswold & Gunnisons.  And doesn't track with the undated (with lower serial number than the 1960 and a 1959 dated 1851) G&U G&Gs I have.   
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Ringo

• A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    • View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 03:45:14 PM »
Actually, I don't believe that is accurate.  According to William Edwards' book, The first 18 replicas were 6 1851s and 12 Griswold & Gunnisons.  And doesn't track with the undated (with lower serial number than the 1960 and a 1959 dated 1851) G&U G&Gs I have.
So it is 1851 Navies and Griswold & Gunnisons, and first date 1958. It cannot be before spring 1958 as Forgett states that is the time he flew to Germany and handed his own 1851 Colt to Johnny Neumyer, who in turn gave it to his brother, who took it to Gregorelli, to serve as a model for the first 1851 and G&G replicas Gregorelli and Uberti ever made.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 04:21:28 PM »
I bought my first replica 1851 Navy in 1969. Not many folks had them back then and as there was no internet and very little printed info available, I taught myself to load and shoot it through trial and error. My biggest mistake was using 25+ grains of Goex in a .36 brass framed revolver and I shot it loose within two years. After that I had to hold the cylinder back toward the frame with my left hand so that there was enough force for the hammer to strike the caps when shooting with right hand. I shot the heck out of that thing before it was stolen in 1975. Wish I still had that revolver, though I still have the 1969 Italian powder flask that I bought at the same time and use it to this day.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 05:33:46 PM by Bishop Creek »
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 06:35:20 PM »
The G&U 1851 I mention in the other thread is # 1226.  There is no date code I could find.  With that low of a number I am guessing 1960, maybe 61 for a build year.

Kevin

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 11:37:11 PM »
Very interesting reading. I wonder how the German versions would have turned out if they had gone with that idea.  8)