Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Went to the range Monday  (Read 5262 times)

Offline GaryC

• View Profile
Went to the range Monday
« on: May 03, 2016, 07:52:45 PM »
Went to the range Monday and shot the 1862 police and the Uberti London Navy.  Had the range to myself after it rained last weekend.  I put 30 rounds thru the Navy and 20 thru the 62 Police.  At 15 yards the 62 police shoots a foot high.

Load for the Navy was 22 grains of 3F Goex with a chunk of lube under the .380 round ball.  The 62 police was 17 grains 4f with the same ball and lube.

Will try to post photos from photo bucket.  So far its been an exercise in frustration.  Hope this works.  Sorry if it doesn't.

30 rounds from the London Navy

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/clementg1/Capandball/100_1363_zpssursyerx.jpg?t=1462243277

The  Navy and the 62 Police disassembled

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/clementg1/Capandball/100_1362_zpsv094fuo1.jpg?t=1462243279

The 62 Police target

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/clementg1/Capandball/100_1352_zpsngpx9dnh.jpg?t=1462243280

Offline GaryC

• View Profile
Re: Went to the range Monday
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 07:57:23 PM »
I think I figured it out.  This should be a picture of the loaded Navy cylinder.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 09:28:58 PM »
Yep, looks like you figured it out!
Thanks for sharing.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 04:31:01 AM »
That London Model may make me want to try an 1851.  Looks good!

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 04:57:28 AM »
You got the picture posting figured out.   Very nice London model. 

Offline GaryC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 11:02:49 AM »
Thanks guys.  Here is one with the 62 police.  I didn't think to take a picture with them assembled.  I'll gets some pics of my guns posted now that I know how.  I wanted to try to determine about how tall front sight I need to get them shooting to POI.  I had already opened up the notch on the hammers and lowered the notch as well on the pocket police.  It still shoots a foot high so it will need a taller front sight.  Probably do the same for the Navy.

I have 8 percussion revolvers and another on the way.  The London model seems to run the best and is a joy to shoot.  Got it last October and have put over 500 rounds through it.  I have 8 repro percussion revolvers with one Pietta Navy on the way.  The smallest is a Wells Fargo and the largest is the ASM second model dragoon I've had since the early 70s.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 04:51:49 AM »
...lowered the notch as well on the pocket police.  It still shoots a foot high so it will need a taller front sight...

If you only lowered the notch without removing some from the top of the hammer, you have not really changed the sight picture.  Try removing some from the top of the hammer and see what happens.  It does not take much to create a difference.

I have dovetailed several barrels for front sights.  A steady hand helps.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 07:59:01 PM »
Good report. I appreciate when people include the pertinent data. Did you have any problems with the Pocket sucking caps? This seem to be a frequent complaint with them.

Offline GaryC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 01:43:16 AM »
Kevin, I did lower the front of the hammer notch on the 62 Police and squared it off but is still shoots high.  It will need a taller front sight.   I calculate I need to raise the front sight or lower the rear sight by about .189 inch and the rear can't be lowered that much.  The group is only so-so and I should probably experiment with the loads but you can still see it is needs a higher front sight.  I bought a fixture to cut sight dovetails.

Lonesome, Both the 62 Police and the Uberti Wells fargo I have both have the same hammer profile (it looks like they were case from the same mold as the have the same or similar irregularities in the hammer face).  And they suck caps something awful.  I put Tresos in both guns which helped a little.  In both the slot in the hammer face for the safety pins is wide and shallow and the hammer face slopes back instead of being square to the nipple, so that only the top portion of the hammer hits the nipple, if that is clear.  The slot also is shaped so that it is well suited to grabbing caps. 

All three of my navys have the hammer face square to the nipple and the safety slots are narrower so that I have far less problem with cap sucking so I think the shape of the hammer face has something to do with it the cap sucking problem.  (I put slix shots in the Uberti but the Piettas have stock nipples).  You can see the difference in the hammer face profiles between the Uberti Navy and the Uberti 62 police in one of the photos if you look closely.

I've thought about building up the hammer face with JB or something and shaping it so it is more like the Navy hammers to see if it helps, though it would probably not hold up with use.  Since both pocket hammers have the same profile I doubt I could buy a replacement hammer that has a different profile.  I've been using Remington 10's and should probably try CCI 11's as well.  I know people have had success with the cap rake but I'd rather not modify the pistol that much.

Regards
Gary

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 08:44:25 PM »
Thanks for the info. I can see the angle on the hammer face as you described. It does look like it would direct cap fragments down into the hammer channel.